Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T heads on N/A Bock

can i use my turbo heads with my carbed block? my turbo engine developed some pretty good knocks after i raced a baja bug up a mountain with no oil......so. I have a carbed EA82 parts car. the compression is 9.5, and the turbo is 7.7. will the bottom end handle the high compression with the turbo, or should I just rebuild the trubo block? is there a kit i can buy to beef up the bottom end? rods, bolts, head studs, etc?

Carbed blocks are 9.0:1

You can do it, but I would rebuild it first. This combination is known for not taking a lot of punishment. Several folks on here have tried it, and most have blown them up in only a few thousand miles. The extra comp. doesn't work well as the EA82's have weak heads and head gaskets. As for better internals.... the rods are bulletproof, you may be able to get some better pistons from RAM performance (and maybe a bit lower comp.), and it would be best to replace all the main and rod bearings too.

GD

No no no, if I'm reading this right, he is putting turbo heads on a N/A block, not the other way around!

Either way, go for it! The turbo heads are the same compression ratio, the difference is, the turbo heads have a turbo oil feed line, oil return line and I think a coolant supply line for the turbo. Plug them all and drive!

Run the N/A cams though.

No no no, if I'm reading this right, he is putting turbo heads on a N/A block, not the other way around!

Either way, go for it! The turbo heads are the same compression ratio, the difference is, the turbo heads have a turbo oil feed line, oil return line and I think a coolant supply line for the turbo. Plug them all and drive!

Run the N/A cams though.

He's still running a Turbo.

He says he's running the turbo and asked if the carb short block will handle it.... the answer is basically NO. At least don't expect it to be reliable in the long term. You may get 500 miles out of it, or you may get 5,000 miles, but sooner or later that high comp. is going to get you.

Heads have nothing to do with comp. ratio's on the EA82's. It's all in the pistons.

GD

what ****'s itself bottom end or head gaskets. if head gaskets why couldnt he a set of copper ones made up. maybe even slightly thicker than standard to try and lower the compression.

because you can't torque them down with the original headbolts and ARP studs run into $700 region, so no, not really a viable option (unless he has money to burn?)

He's still running a Turbo.

Gotcha, I had to read it again, the title threw me off.

I would say to try to find a turbo shortblock. The high compression and lack of knock sensor is a bad combination for the turbo.

I have a turbo short block that I'm willing to part with. It's disassembled and all the parts are extremely clean, pistons and cylinders look great. Not sure what shipping would be from 97113 Oregon, but let me know if you are interested. $75 + shipping?

Gotcha, I had to read it again, the title threw me off.

I would say to try to find a turbo shortblock. The high compression and lack of knock sensor is a bad combination for the turbo.

I have a turbo short block that I'm willing to part with. It's disassembled and all the parts are extremely clean, pistons and cylinders look great. Not sure what shipping would be from 97113 Oregon, but let me know if you are interested. $75 + shipping?

I'm running the SPFI shortblock on my RX and it had the bung for the knock sensor. I haven't looked at a carbed block for awhile so I don't know if that bung is threaded or not...

All EA82 blocks have the threaded hole for the knock sensor.

As for the 9.5:1 bottom end from a MPFI/Carb/SPFI:

I've ran one hard, on track, at autox, and on street for well over 50k miles with ZERO issues.

Period.

All EA82 blocks have the threaded hole for the knock sensor.

As for the 9.5:1 bottom end from a MPFI/Carb/SPFI:

I've ran one hard, on track, at autox, and on street for well over 50k miles with ZERO issues.

Period.

That's good to know. I know a lot of guys that run turbo Hondas with high compression and they seem to hold well, even at 11 second 1/4 miles. BUT, they have a couple more main bearings than we do. On the contrary, our main "caps" are a little beefier than theirs. With that said, I pushed an ea-82t with over 200K at over 20 psi of boost for many miles, many drags, and a few rallycrosses with zero problems. This is on the turbo block but I would guess it is stressing the bottom end more than a high compression block at moderate boost levels.

I think if you are going for max power at high boost, I would go with the turbo short block, the n/a shortblock sounds like it will hold up fine and it would probably make a decent street car. Ignition timing would be a little bit more critical and I would not bog the engine under boost.

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody... I havent been on here for a while, so.... I had the carb block rebuilt, and am having the t-heads done now... i havent changed my boost and dont plan on it really, so hopefully that wont be an issue. i dont really drive it hard any way. (much) i did, however, upgrade the exhaust and intake pipes and will be polishing and gasket matching my runners. THEN, when thats all done, i am putting a dual range 5sp in, also from the carbed car. so. my plate is pretty much full, hope to get it done before the snow falls....

• 3 weeks later...

well i didnt get the transwap done and thers a foot o' snow so ill just run the 3at till next spring..... my block does have a threaded bung(great word) so thats good. both heads had a tiny crack between the valves but they pressure tested good, so well see. i spent three days with a dremel cleaning up the intake and exhaust runners. i might have it running by the weekend. thanks again for the help.

• 4 months later...

going on 5000 miles on the hi-comp turbo. lots of power! boost comes up 5psi @ 2200, hits 7psi @ 2600-2800 and pulls hard from there. 1st is useless, and 2nd usually, too. 3000 rpm @ 70 mph, passes in 5th without much effort. put a 170 degree tstat in and wired my electric fan on a switch since i dont have ac anymore. no p-steering either. i love it.

• 5 months later...

in case anyone is interested, i have now put 11,000 miles on this engine with no problems at all. i also now have a cold air intake that pulls from the right marker light hole, and very free flowing exhaust. and you may have seen my other posts about the hack job. the car weighs in at 2100 pounds. its fun. you should get one.