Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello USMB!

Hello USMB!

Great website, thumbs up to all the good info on the board!

My name is Sam and I am a new/old subaru owner! I am normally a datsun guy but I am stoked about the new soob!

I bought subiemech85's rx last weekend and drove it home, 375ish miles.

I am planing on using the rx as a winter car and I hope to get some rally action in as well. I am hoping for a nasty winter!

I have been wanting an awd winter car for awhile (wrc fan) but this is the first year things came together for me....

The rx will be a huge improvement for me as my last few winter cars were.. well.. less than suitible for winter driving, ecspecially considering IL's salty roads.

Last year it was my Z (open diff at the time, welded now) befor that it was an svo(very tight lsd) befor that the Z again.. soo lots of time facing the wrong direction!

I will be posting a worklog of sorts to get feedback on the planed/perfomed work on the car, everything from maintinence to bodywork and perfomance upgrades. Lots of pics, Lots of info. Lots of Questions!!

THe rough plan for the car is a clean, reliable driver, with some modest perfomance work. probably in line with what I have done to my z but with a little restraint and a clear budget.. haha(IC, standalone, susp. etc.)

Anyway, Ill be searchin and readin'.. I already have a half dozen or so questions that I havent been able to find answers to and a list of parts I need but Ill save those for next time.

The work has begun, work log to come!

Thanks, Sam

Welcome B-5!

I had a rarely seen 79 810 coupe about ten years ago. Had the 280Z engine and drive train. It was a fun car to drive, but man, that rear end was all over the place whenever it rained. I had to let it go due to rust and suspension problems.

Thats way cool you're starting out with an RX. The power from the turbo is only a few horses shy of the 280z's 125 hp. Plus the RX is a lighter car, so you'll be having some fun. I am on Subie #4 - 94 Legacy wagon named "Red", and #3, Murphy the $00 87 Turbo Wagon is in my garage getting a new transmission, switching from a crappy 3 speed atuo to the Full Time 4 Wheel Drive 5 speed with the locking differential. I also installed the front coil springs from an RX. And when I find one, I will be swapping in a rear Limited Slip Diff. from an RX as well. When I'm done, my GL-10 wagon will be more RX than than GL :grin:

Thanks for the welcome,

as for the clear budget and restraint comment, I have to admit I had to laugh as I typed that.

I may have a chance at it though since I dont have any rediculous goals (power or otherwise) in mind for the car. My Z is my money pit and I am trying to have it ready for a full season of track use next summer so that will also help keep things in check. I also have a Megasquirt, harness, injectors, a tmic and a few diffrent t3's laying around the shop. biggest purchase should be ss for the header and exhaust.

As for power of the rx vs the z, its something Im not even thinking about.

The Z is already double stock hp(turbo motor) and should be about triple for next year. there is just no comparison to be made.. not without thinking of wild drivetrain swaps and I am trying vey hard not to let my mind wander in that direction.

I am curious now about the rx's weight, late Z's like mine are about 2700lbs fully dressed, mines abit less. I would be surprised(happily) to find the rx lighter than that. I dont have any plans or seriously lightening the car either.

Good luck on the wagon sonic, sub lsd's are pretty easy to come by arent they?

Thanks again,

Sam

Welcome B-5!

The power from the turbo is only a few horses shy of the 280z's 125 hp

okay okay okay NO!!!!!!!!!

stock flywheel HP on the 280Z is 174!!!!!!!!! wheel hp was 145!

you AINT gonna blaspheme against my BABY like that BIATCH!!!!!:lol:

bgd can go on about the 3 main boxer as long as he wants, nothing is gonna make me stray from MY love for the OHC inline six

okay okay okay NO!!!!!!!!!

stock flywheel HP on the 280Z is 174!!!!!!!!! wheel hp was 145!

you AINT gonna blaspheme against my BABY like that BIATCH!!!!!:lol:

bgd can go on about the 3 main boxer as long as he wants, nothing is gonna make me stray from MY love for the OHC inline six

Daeron - just go ahead and burst my bubble:rolleyes:!

I was thinking of the power output reduction caused by stupid emission controls added in the 260 model, which brought the HP down into the 130's. Plus the posted HP on the engines were higher than the accepted SAE standards I think.

Daeron - just go ahead and burst my bubble:rolleyes:!

I was thinking of the power output reduction caused by stupid emission controls added in the 260 model, which brought the HP down into the 130's. Plus the posted HP on the engines were higher than the accepted SAE standards I think.

Im not trying to pretend my Zcar is laying 175 to the ground by any means...

but it shore aint no 125 neither.... and they didnt get too fat until they became ZXs either. GVWR on my 280 is like 29something... and i know the maximum load (passengers+cargo) is 420 pounds. so yah, my GL10 is lighter than my 280Z... but ithe soob is fuglier too.... (no offense, they ARE pretty homely little sedans without any trim on them...)

gee, wonder why THAT number sticks out in the ol' brain.....