Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Winter wheels would not securely hold the wheel covers and I was afraid of losing them. I saw this being done in the Carribbean several years ago on their rough roads, and have used it myself for three winter seasons. Install the wheel covers and then wrap a a plastic zip tie through an opening in the wheel cover, through a cutout in the steel wheel, and back through the wheel cover to the front and fasten and pull it tight. I use the clear zip ties with my siver wheel covers, since they hide pretty well in that colour. I install two zip ties on each wheel, about as 180 degrees across from each other as possible, to keep everything tight. I also put the zip fastener as close to the wheel cover opening as possible, to make it less noticeable, and then cut off the excess tie. With the small cost of the ties, I simply cut them free in the spring when its time to change my wheels over summer mags. (I also carry several spares in the trunk, for use if I ever have to use the spare tire.) Hope this helps someone out.

Your opinion. I personally like hubcaps over black steel wheels.

Why do you need zip ties? I've never lost a wheel cover and I've been driving for a while now - maybe you should pound them on harder?

I never lost one in 15 years with my old 89 wagon. I've had my Impreza OBS for 2.5 years and lost 3 hubcaps. The new ones just don't stay on well...

Your opinion. I personally like hubcaps over black steel wheels.

Why do you need zip ties? I've never lost a wheel cover and I've been driving for a while now - maybe you should pound them on harder?

well i do, OK. You dont seem to agree with me much eh?

But in 13years i never lost them,and they dont wobble or nothing, i just paint them aluminum paint, looks way better, but still IMO it looks better without, but for my mom, she doesnt like it, so W/E.