Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Built a hitch today.

A previous owner of my 86 wagon once had a hitch on it that attached to the bumper. The bumper is still bent and some of the steel bracing needs to be welded. I have no idea how large of a load was placed on it but I'd be hesatent of bolting anything to the bumper that's heavier than a license plate.

your hitch can always be braced more solidly. just takes more steel and fab time...

ive never even trusted bumper hitches on a truck, from a factory... a (stupid) acquaintance of my father's once dropped a boat off a rusty trailer hitch and dragged it to the nearest exit off I-95 with nothing but chains, that tale scarred me for life.

• 11 months later...

Diggin up the dead here! :dead:

I put a pipe bumper on my loyale w/ a tow ball attached to it. Unbolted the stock bumper from inside the trunk box, then slid mine in in its place! Bolted up like stock. I have pulled a lot w/ it. Never bent or broke. No stress signs at all! I towed a jeep cherokee home w/ a towbar doing 25 MPH. A cherokee weighs almost like 3200 lbs! I towed my rowboat and motor all over as well as a yard /dump trailer w/ never an issue. I've towed my 16' fishing boat around, but it is right at that threshhold of drivabilitly. The motor and bumper held strong... its the stopping that starts to become iffy....:dead: