Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ford vs subaru

1bignose

the last 2 weekends i went and hit some mud. 2 friends went up with there fords. and all they can do is dis on my subaru. i told them that i was going to see if i could round up a few subarus and show them up. i live in mcminnville,or so if any one wants to do this let me know

thanks

dennis

the last 2 weekends i went and hit some mud. 2 friends went up with there fords. and all they can do is dis on my subaru. i told them that i was going to see if i could round up a few subarus and show them up. i live in mcminnville,or so if any one wants to do this let me know

thanks

dennis

no offense. i love subies. but in an all out competiton in offroad you will loose. Depending on what they have of course. But see who will still be driving their car in 10 years you or them:)

Granted subies can do a lot, but i have owned a copule of bronco's they are beasts with mud terrain tires.

key word there was OWNED.

there is one bronco he dos not have mud train tires on it and i pulled him out when he got stuck. the other rig is a ranger and he gots a lift and super swomper on it. but heres the thing they dont thank a subaru with a lift and good tires on it will go anywhere. all i have is the 6 lug with 14s and road tires. iv gone every where they have gone it would be nice to show them where a lifted subaru with good tires will go

dennis

my car is limited most by the driver, more than the car itself.
I feel that's my problem too... :-\:rolleyes::-p

The locked/welded rear diff makes ALL the difference. If you haven't got it locked, weld it up and suprise them! Oh, and make sure you take plenty of pics of there faces, not there cars! hehe

I'm with Noah, i don't work at a ford dealership, i work on all sorts of models of cars but fords are one of ones thats guaranteed job security, they always need work.

The guys i go wheeling with all have toyotas and jeeps sometimes we get a dodge or a ford. they are all amazed at what subarus can do and they don't make fun of my subaru in fact they usually urge me on. i can tell you this there are some people at browns campthat are surprised at what subarus can do to.

for info: i have 15" mud terrain tires and a welded rearend that my jeep buddy welded for me, that in its self make all the world on a subaru. now if i can only get a limited slip in the front and better gears or like Noah an EJ22.

there is one bronco he dos not have mud train tires on it and i pulled him out when he got stuck. the other rig is a ranger and he gots a lift and super swomper on it. but heres the thing they dont thank a subaru with a lift and good tires on it will go anywhere. all i have is the 6 lug with 14s and road tires. iv gone every where they have gone it would be nice to show them where a lifted subaru with good tires will go

dennis

In a blink of an eye that independent suspension on a sube can take 3 inches off the liftkit that river riding solid axle weirdos false impression and go the same places. I do not even want to say where I went on tall 13 inch and factory height.. respectably in comparison as a lifted truck.Quite surprising if you can conform like a mountain animal 6 inches off the ground and do the unlikely- and not even tear anything off the bottom. A lifted sube would be quite a machine.

it all depends on terrain and set-up. the place I go the most often, has lots of areas that are too wide for full size vehicles.

I usually end up on some quad trails too....

but there's also some things that I can't do, because of the the suspension limitations or the need for a front locker.....

with independent suspension, you actually lose ground clearance when your wheels move up...

because of the terrain I frequent the most, my best set-up, with the independent suspension, is welded rear, RX springs in front, and suspension adjusted all the way up front and back. nice and stiff because I need to maintain the clearance.

I'll never have a ford wheeler, but my next off-road warrior will not be a soob....

it all depends on terrain and set-up. the place I go the most often, has lots of areas that are too wide for full size vehicles.

I usually end up on some quad trails too....

stupid.gif

Thats one of my main points. The Subie can go places that a fullsize cant. I'd show them up by attempting some narrow passages and steep hillclimbs.

I also own a fullsize Ford... a Bronco. With mud grips, there isnt too many places I cant get to with it.. save over a lake, or inclines sharper than my approach/departure angles. (Oh, and psbtw, I run my Bronco on the quad trails too.. just kinda hang off one side or the other. :) )

The Subie's good points are its size, and its weight. Its small enough to go anywhere, and light enough to get over anything. Use those to your advantage.

Ive been out at the local orv park just cruisung around seeing/showing some frineds what my STOCK hatch could do. They all did the same; laughed when this little two door CAR went into the park, three people. lol! I just drove around to find someone to wheel with, usually people are cool and like that. What I found was the samething... Some FORD guys (dont get me wrong, Im a ford (car) guy). But they just looked at us and laughed... So after he rolled back down the hill from not making the hill climb, I went up right in his tracks, full load, nothin special. 4 lo, and crawled right up it... The look on thier face was priceless! After that they wanted to talk... I also told them how much I had into the car, at the time about $500!! yes I love it. People under estimate these cars. The only problem I have found with it is that if you want mud you DO need a lift kit... No doubt, but if your just cruising loggin raods/orv- not lookin to splash- I know thats where thee fun is... but like others said, its the driver that is limited, not the car, I have scared myself a few times, and some passengers too! Enough of it! Just hit some climb that they cant do, that will put their ford in its place... after they break something, take it to the shop and about 1500 later diving it again, we just go to the j/y or ur parts car! lol

dennis

I have run into some realy kewl Ford folks wheelin' ouside Estacada . This guy just got new MT's on a new '06 ranger 4x4. We hooked up and he was amazed I went everywhere he went except the deepest holes. They had a alot of respect for subaru's after that!

I just moved to Newberg so that we be kewl to hookup and go wheelin' local, Mac isn't far at all.

I hit TSF many times cleaning the "more difficult trails" I loved the look on quad riders faces when I was on the "hogsback"

quad rider Quote: " It's a 76" maxiumum width!" My reply :"How do ya think I got here ..airlifted"

hogsback.jpg

my cell 503-314-7535

ya we should go where planing a trip up sunday. i just got back down from playing. the ranger mest up his cluch ha ha i know thats not nice he was being a @ss hole but i went farther then him. i told him if he cant make it home i would tow him with the subaru but i dont like night runs talk to you all later