Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have come to terms that I suck at clutching in my Subie. Both my '95 cable actuated clutch and my '04 hydraulic clutch. It always seems so inconsistent. I'm not the "Fast and the Furious" type of driver but I like to get on it when the light turns green from time to time.

I've been looking for a new clutch. Something with a moderatly heavier pressure plate and tougher disc. Problem is I can't seem to find one for my car ('04 impreza ts, 2.5 SOHC 5 spd). Everything out there fits either the ej20t or the sti (ej257t?). It seems that the clutch for an ej20t would not work but what about a clutch for the STI??

Also, I was thinking about a light weight flywheel. This would reduce centrifical/centrifugal (not sure, I'm no scientist) force on the disc and limit slipping when engaging or disengaging the clutch, correct?

Just need something that's gonna last a while. Like I said I'm not all "Fast and the Furious" but I like shifting in corners, getting sideways on gravel/snow, accelerating quickly but I don't try to burn out and I've never just dropped the clutch or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

I have come to terms that I suck at clutching in my Subie. Both my '95 cable actuated clutch and my '04 hydraulic clutch. It always seems so inconsistent. I'm not the "Fast and the Furious" type of driver but I like to get on it when the light turns green from time to time.

I've been looking for a new clutch. Something with a moderatly heavier pressure plate and tougher disc. Problem is I can't seem to find one for my car ('04 impreza ts, 2.5 SOHC 5 spd). Everything out there fits either the ej20t or the sti (ej257t?). It seems that the clutch for an ej20t would not work but what about a clutch for the STI??

Also, I was thinking about a light weight flywheel. This would reduce centrifical/centrifugal (not sure, I'm no scientist) force on the disc and limit slipping when engaging or disengaging the clutch, correct?

Just need something that's gonna last a while. Like I said I'm not all "Fast and the Furious" but I like shifting in corners, getting sideways on gravel/snow, accelerating quickly but I don't try to burn out and I've never just dropped the clutch or anything like that.

Any suggestions?

You might check out www.boxer4racing.com - I bought my axleback from them. The website is mediocre so emailing them might be best.

Also, some of your questions might need some searching over at www.nasioc.com . I have read that a too light flywheel can cause low speed drivaeability issues and maybe throw a code. I guess if u stay above 12-13 pounds or so might be OK - the 9lb flywheels I think are the problem.

I THINK you can find or have made a stainless braided hydra-clutch hose that might help - I dunno.

You also consider replacing the trans grrease. Search around here for a thread about that. Redline 75-90NS is liked well as are 2-3 other mixes/fluids.

I was surprised how senstive clutching my '06 was to seat position, try one click closer on the seat, lean back a click or 2 for the arm position. whatever.

Carl

?

lighter flywheel is only for faster revving engine, not for your problem. How is the hydraulic clutch parts

nipper

lighter flywheel is only for faster revving engine, not for your problem. How is the hydraulic clutch parts

nipper

I don't know anything about hydraulic clutches, as this is first car I've owned with one. As far as flywheels go, I know that less weight = less inertia. And less inertia should account for less friction on the clutch disc. Oh well, faster revving would be a perk anyhow. No harm in trying.

I was looking at the Cobb flywheel and clutch but I think the clutch can be had for cheaper elsewhere. It looks the same as the ACT kit but I'm not sure if it is the same. Everywhere else I look only has them for STI and WRX (ej20t) applications. Whether either of these will work is unbeknownst to me.

Thanks

Chris

I don't know anything about hydraulic clutches, as this is first car I've owned with one. As far as flywheels go, I know that less weight = less inertia. And less inertia should account for less friction on the clutch disc. Oh well, faster revving would be a perk anyhow. No harm in trying.

I was looking at the Cobb flywheel and clutch but I think the clutch can be had for cheaper elsewhere. It looks the same as the ACT kit but I'm not sure if it is the same. Everywhere else I look only has them for STI and WRX (ej20t) applications. Whether either of these will work is unbeknownst to me.

Thanks

Chris

here's another possible flywheel;

http://www.subydude.com/osc/product_info.php/cPath/220_95_276/products_id/494?osCsid=30505b9b1caba9ba4a32cf09ee98f637

Did you email Teague at boxer4racing? He will know what fits. The site is not well laid-out.

Carl