Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Vacuum oil extractor - opinion?

Has anyone used a vacuum oil extractor that sucks the engine oil out through a tube stuck down the dipstick hole? I can get a good one for about $40 and it seems like it would be a lot less messy and simpler than going under the car (I know, I'm a wimp). Any thoughts? I thought maybe it wouldn't get all the oil out of the pan, and changing the filter would be just as messy, so what's the point?

Just looking for opinions.

Green

This doesnt work (they never have). You will never get all the oil out, and still leave some setiment in the pan. You still need to get under the car and change the filter, and thats the messiest part. The oil drain plug is neat in comaprison.

nipper

Has anyone used a vacuum oil extractor that sucks the engine oil out through a tube stuck down the dipstick hole? I can get a good one for about $40 and it seems like it would be a lot less messy and simpler than going under the car (I know, I'm a wimp). Any thoughts? I thought maybe it wouldn't get all the oil out of the pan, and changing the filter would be just as messy, so what's the point?

Just looking for opinions.

Green

Vacuum oil extractors are primarily used where it is impossible or very difficult to drain the oil otherwise. A good example would be a boat. Cramped engine compartments usually make it impossible to access the drain plug on a diesel engine installed in a boat.

It takes 15 minutes TOPS to change the oil on a subaru, and you don't even have to get under the car. You reach the drain plug and the oil filter by kneeling in front of the car.

Yup, I know, I've done it a few times. :) Just wanted opinions on the extractor method to confirm my suspicions.

Actually it takes one cup of coffee. I drive the car up on the ramps and put a jug under and run the tube to the Fumoto. While it drains I go in and make a cup of coffee. When I get back the jug is full and I put the coffee on the fender well and shut the Fumoto valve, pull off the tube, and while I'm under change the filter.

Then the coffee is cool enought for the first sip before you start to pour in the 4.2 quarts of oil. I have another full sip and drive the car off the ramps and let it idle while I pick up the tools and put the oil in back to recyle.

Finish the coffee and off to the recycle place and I'm done.

The "suck out through dipstick tube" method is good for transmissions, esp. automatics w/o drain plug but also whenever the plug is hard to reach. You don't need a vacuum extractor, but only a hand pump and a drain container.