Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cant quite put a finger on it

i have an 88 dl 1.8

i was recently on a road trip just replaced my timing belts and i noticed that when i shift at high rpm a lttle black smoke shoots out the pipe doesnt happen all the time just on the long drive seems fine now second mystery it a little stall deal . i was driving and my car was losing a little power i was going 85 then to 55 rather fast i put it in neutral reved then back in gear and it started to sputter like a fouled plug and after a minute it was back to normal i was guessing maybe water in my gas line? or maybe in the intake? :confused:

Even the carbed block EA82's will not float the valves till over 7,000 RPM. The SPFI engines were even higher - they had a 6500 RPM redline, while the older carbs were 6,000. You would have to hit around 8,000 or higher to float the SPFI valve springs.

What you hit (if anything) was the rev limiter in the ECU. It retards the timing automatically as a safeguard.

GD