Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I don't know if your bang will be gone after the flush. It seems to me I saw a TSB about a bit of a 'bang' when the AWD kicks in and it was some clutch or something engaging quickly, but I don't know if it applies to your year/model.

I get a bit of a whine under certain conditions from my rear diff or something too ('00OBW). It seems to me a lot of hypoid type rear diffs get a whine with time that is unavoidable. I rode in a late model explorer once that I couldn't believe how loud that whine was on hills.

everything thats attached to it:

rear diff

center u joints

center carrier bearing

Transmission

Tranny mount

nipper

Hmm? tranny mount u say? how can it get damaged? like sometimes i feel the car struggles taking off on level ground, but then sometimes, it takes off really smooth! then other times the engines struggles, and vibrates a bit on take off, and its shivers every so often on turns, but not torque binding. I really dont know what to make of this. What should i check, the only thing i find is sometimes when u give it the gas turning or straight sometimes the engine stuggles, then i hear a little crack noise from the dash board. If the tranny mount is damaged how would i know, thanks!

Hmm? tranny mount u say? how can it get damaged? like sometimes i feel the car struggles taking off on level ground, but then sometimes, it takes off really smooth! then other times the engines struggles, and vibrates a bit on take off, and its shivers every so often on turns, but not torque binding. I really dont know what to make of this. What should i check, the only thing i find is sometimes when u give it the gas turning or straight sometimes the engine stuggles, then i hear a little crack noise from the dash board. If the tranny mount is damaged how would i know, thanks!

By getting under the car and inspecting it. What you have is torque bind, the cracking noise you hear is the drivetrain unwinding. Dont know why its coming from the dash.

no it aint lol, i can park it and now binding at all ,just when i drive out of corners sometimes and give it gas i feel a vibration. But the crack is only on take off. No power light either. But it feels like something just isn't balanced, or in place properly, i just know it!

no it aint lol, i can park it and now binding at all ,just when i drive out of corners sometimes and give it gas i feel a vibration. But the crack is only on take off. No power light either. But it feels like something just isn't balanced, or in place properly, i just know it!

Inspect the driveline. Check the center carrier bearing and universal joints.

nipper

ok, ill go out later, but u think the tranny mount has anything to do with this? Like its not a constant problem, its a thing that is there every so often.

Ok lets back up a bit ... beepbeepbeep

Put the fuse in the FWD holder under the hood for a week and tell us what happens.

nipper

Ok lets back up a bit ... beepbeepbeep

Put the fuse in the FWD holder under the hood for a week and tell us what happens.

nipper

not much, i put it in, but this i really confusing me, i put the fuse in and the car felt more liek AWD! but without it in, i find the front wheels spin like crazy! wtf? i had the FWD light on, but it felt more better with the fuse in, no wheel slippage, but with it out, its kind of mixed, sometimes it will slip the front wheels, sometimes not.:mad::mad:

not much, i put it in, but this i really confusing me, i put the fuse in and the car felt more liek AWD! but without it in, i find the front wheels spin like crazy! wtf? i had the FWD light on, but it felt more better with the fuse in, no wheel slippage, but with it out, its kind of mixed, sometimes it will slip the front wheels, sometimes not.:mad::mad:

When you put the FWD fuse in, it disables the rear wheels (the clutch pack). So the front wheels spinning is normal (meaning GET OFF THE GAS). The tires will spin if they loose traction for some reason. the FWD light should be on. I dont really understand what your saying... try explaining it again.

Also you dont mention if the thump went away, im betting you have torque bind since its obvious the Duty C solenoid (which is energized when you put the fuse in ) is working properly. Do your tires match, are they all inflated properly? Have you driven on a flat or spare recently?

SOUnds to me the FWD fuse is behaving normally.

nipper

the tires are brand spankin new, all equal pressure, new tranny, clutch pakcs, and drive solendoid, NO powerlight flashes, no codes. um, i gota try again though, but im better off waiting untill it rains or snows, because its hard to determine whats up, like my dad will floor it ,and it spun last time we tried gunning it, and it was cold the car, and i watched from outside, but no FWD fuse was inserted, but we never tried at the time with it in. I should go to the dam tranny shop who charged me 3k! and yell at him untill me tells me the truth, he claims he changed the TCU with a new 600 dollar TCU, my butt, that idiot there he probably underfilled my tranny, then it didnt shift when i floored it, and it screwed up my clutch packs, then he probably put in a used tranny. He claims the tranny is the same, there is no way thats possible, its looks like a new tranny. ANd my TCU is the exact same one, hes a idiot! im a idiot for letting my dad pay for the bill. I told my dad we should go over there and give them ************. Gets me so angry, like if i spent 3000CDN i would have preffered getting a 60k engine and tranny combo for 700 at my local JDM parts store and get my subaru dealer to install it. :mad::mad::mad: would have also been good if the car worked perfectly for 3000!! and if he didnt cost me 500 for a abs sensor.

the tires are brand spankin new, all equal pressure, new tranny, clutch pakcs, and drive solendoid, NO powerlight flashes, no codes. um, i gota try again though, but im better off waiting untill it rains or snows, because its hard to determine whats up, like my dad will floor it ,and it spun last time we tried gunning it, and it was cold the car, and i watched from outside, but no FWD fuse was inserted, but we never tried at the time with it in. I should go to the dam tranny shop who charged me 3k! and yell at him untill me tells me the truth, he claims he changed the TCU with a new 600 dollar TCU, my butt, that idiot there he probably underfilled my tranny, then it didnt shift when i floored it, and it screwed up my clutch packs, then he probably put in a used tranny. He claims the tranny is the same, there is no way thats possible, its looks like a new tranny. ANd my TCU is the exact same one, hes a idiot! im a idiot for letting my dad pay for the bill. I told my dad we should go over there and give them ************. Gets me so angry, like if i spent 3000CDN i would have preffered getting a 60k engine and tranny combo for 700 at my local JDM parts store and get my subaru dealer to install it. :mad::mad::mad: would have also been good if the car worked perfectly for 3000!! and if he didnt cost me 500 for a abs sensor.

i think youve been taken. Time for small claims, or at least start complaining. The car should not spin tires at all when the FWD fuse is not in. If you are spinning the front tires in AWD the AWD is not functioning. Its rare the TCU needs to be replaced. I think you got taken.

nipper

i think youve been taken. Time for small claims, or at least start complaining. The car should not spin tires at all when the FWD fuse is not in. If you are spinning the front tires in AWD the AWD is not functioning. Its rare the TCU needs to be replaced. I think you got taken.

nipper

thats what i know i got taken, i really would like to give these guys crap, like 3000 is ALOT to spend on a car like this, i mean tops i could get for this car is like 8000 cdn after i get the rest of the car painted, but then my grand total for repairs are 12k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!