Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does anyone know if Subaru has plans to launch a small subcompact?

I must confess I do like the small cars in Europe, efficient, if you live in a big city as I do, just makes sense, but I love my Subaru and don't really wanna venture into something else. Anyone know?

cheers

They are bringing back the Justy in the form of a passenger van for 5 or 6 passengers. It will feature the ECVT which was kindof a failure the first time around but maybe it will be better this time as technology has improved in this area and more brands are jumping onto the idea (Nissan big in it). High 40's MPG, low displacement engine, etc.

and for those of us who don't know anything until we read it here.... what is ECTV? i know it's not a new television.

Yea, what Wayne said. IMHO, it's a much maligned misunderstood and often abused transmission.

For instance: You should NEVER hold a ECCV tranny on a hill, at a stop, etc. with the throttle. When you're at a stop, get the foot off the throttle and on the brake. Factory instructions. This has probably contributed to a lot of failures with these cars.

The other is proper service with new fluids after you've scorched the fluid. Four wheeling one of them? Watch the fluid and NEVER over heat one.

Did you know, when these came out they actually programmed a stutter into the thing so it would sound like they are "shifting"? I could go on:).

I have one as a daily driver btw.

Doug

So yea, I'm saying a lot of the failure issues are "the driver" with these things.

For instance: You should NEVER hold a ECCV tranny on a hill, at a stop, etc. with the throttle. When you're at a stop, get the foot off the throttle and on the brake. Factory instructions. This has probably contributed to a lot of failures with these cars.
Uh, I'm pretty sure That's not good in any car.

Clutch?

Uh, I'm pretty sure That's not good in any car.

Clutch?

You mean clutch with a clutch pedal? None. The electro-magnetic internal clutch, which lists for like $800.00 U.S. is one of the failure prone areas that gets overheated.

I've got Mobile 1 to go in mine next go round. The tranny only holds 4 qts. If you drop the pan, pull out the filter and let it sit inclined, you can drain three and a half qts.

An additional cooler is being considered and the OEM gasket is glued to the pan, reused. The filter is wire mesh and reusable as well. Just clean it. The pan has a drain plug as well, and a magnet inside.

One thing about transmission fluid, what i understand, it's not what it used to be. Like the good stuff was made from Whale oil and is no longer. Something like that.

Anyway,

Later