Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bad front CV's - use rear wheel drive only?

DHDH

I have an '89 DL 4x4 with bad front CV joints on both sides. I'm thinking about removing the whole half axle shafts from both sides and trying to drive it with the 4 wheel drive engaged...use it as a rear wheel drive until I can replace the axle shafts.

Has anyone done this, or does anyone know if it is possible to run it this way?

Thanks all.

how bad are these axles, are the Subaru (the originals) and do you drive off road?

i've put 50,000+ miles on broken boot, clicking axles. the Subaru axles are solid and i've never had one fail. i've rarely seen them fail on the groups either, and those times are usually from guys with lifter/offroaded vehicles. i never replace mine until 'im pulling the axle out for something else. i have two broken in the rear and one up front now....so what, i know they won't fail and i'm definitely not messing with them any time soon. i'll get to it in a year or so. i'd leave them there.

if they are clicking really bad you can hand pack some grease in there to quiet them down.

These are pretty bad. I've gone through a couple of sets of replacements and this is about the worst they have gotten. They click sometimes driving straight, and I get this violent steering wheel shaking. I don't 4 wheel it, though live on a dirt road. The wagon has 353 K on it though. I have packed grease into the torn boots before, but not on these. May be worth a try again.

Maybe I won't pull the axle shafts, but I like Durania 717's idea of roasting them back tires!

Anyway 353 k -and still a good ride!

if they aren't Subaru axles i wouldn't trust them. i've seen aftermarkets blow to pieces with very little stress. but like i've said...i've put 50,000+ miles on clicking CV's on original Subaru axles. if they start clicking while driving straight that's when i start planning on replacing them...usually with a brake job or something else requiring similar work. the two birds with one stone thing.

but if they aren't Subaru or MWE i'd be looking to get them out quick. when you replace them, get used Subaru axles or rebuilds from MWE..or new from subaru if you like giving away your wallet. aftermarkets suck, seen them explode.