Ultimate Subaru Message Board

electric fan issues...

would removing my ac belt cause my electric fan to stop working? I know the fan is controlled by a thermoswitch but I believe that it also automatically comes on with the ac on. It is not working at all, the only thing I have done is removed the ac belt. Is my fan not working because of removing the belt or did my thermoswitch go bad? just curious what I need to buy.

I think the AC fan should turn on whenever the AC is turned on. This bypasses the thermoswitch I think so the fan motor may be bad or there may be a bad relay that ties power to the motor. Try running power directly to the fan to see if it will run that way and eliminate it as the problem.

I've found those radiator thermoswitchs unreliable, have my passenger side fans wired to bypass them and come on whenever the ignition is on.

The ac equipped ea82s are wired with a relay located on the passenger side by the vacuum bottle - that may be the problem.

would removing my ac belt cause my electric fan to stop working? I know the fan is controlled by a thermoswitch but I believe that it also automatically comes on with the ac on. It is not working at all, the only thing I have done is removed the ac belt. Is my fan not working because of removing the belt or did my thermoswitch go bad? just curious what I need to buy.

you should be able to unplug the thermoswitch, and take the plug on the car for it, and simply short it out. I made a jumper out of spade terminals to plug between the two female terminals on the car's wiring harness. Installing this jumper makes the car think that the thermosqitch is "on" all the time, so the fan runs all the time.

If jumping the thermoswitch plug doesnt work, then the problem is elsewhere (relay, or something deeper.) However, if this fixes it, its no problem to leave the fan running with the key at all times.

I wired a switch on my dash in parallel to the thermo switch so I can turn it on at will. By doing this it will not turn on unless the key is in at least acc. so jumping the thermo switch would do the same thing but it will always be on. The fan still comes on when the thermo switch completes the circuit even if my switch is off. Comes in handy when i need the motor to cool down faster.