Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm sorry, but that post was just silly...If people want to break the law...let them. The cops will get 'em eventually. Your goofy statements like this are not going to frighten them into submission or give them an instant reasonable, intelligent brain to work with.

Com on, man...

(sorry for the hijack...)

1)Street racing is dangerous not only for those who indulge in it but also for all persons sharing the same public streets or roads.

2)These persons have a right to make it known that they dont appreciate that kind of behaviour.

3)Street racers are not completely stupid and can maybe find some food for thought in what those concerned others have to say about street racing.

If your neighbours are eventualy witness to someone breaking and entering your home, I hope they will not think that "If people want to break the law...let them. The cops will get 'em eventually".

Cheers!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1)Street racing is dangerous not only for those who indulge in it but also for all persons sharing the same public streets or roads.

2)These persons have a right to make it known that they dont appreciate that kind of behaviour.

3)Street racers are not completely stupid and can maybe find some food for thought in what those concerned others have to say about street racing.

If your neighbours are eventualy witness to someone breaking and entering your home, I hope they will not think that "If people want to break the law...let them. The cops will get 'em eventually".

Cheers!

Okay, okay...I have to admit it - I do like your analogy.

But seriously, one dude condemning them is not going to stop (or even slow down) the epidemic.

800px-Ricerburner-neon.jpg

There are just some that won't ever learn...

There are so many things wrong with that picture i dont know where to start ....

once i stop laughing

nipper

He's flying too low?

Seriously, question to those doing some serious racing (not street racing) : at what speed does a properly installed rear air foil begins to make a positive difference in handling ? I would guess at a faster speed than anything remotely possible on a public road but that's only intuitive.

He's flying too low?

Seriously, question to those doing some serious racing (not street racing) : at what speed does a properly installed rear air foil begins to make a positive difference in handling ? I would guess at a faster speed than anything remotely possible on a public road but that's only intuitive.

I think I read somewhere that you see gains in handling (in RWD and AWD cars) at something like 140 MPH...I could be wrong, though. Other sources say anything over 100 MPH. As far as on a FWD car (Neon, etc.), no gain at all...as you get plenty of traction at high speeds.

Hence...

IN28.jpg

/\ Totally functional and necessary /\

Also...

wrx20038.jpg...

Well if u guys watch top gear you would see how greatly a wing is needed at high speeds. Like when they tested the swedish 250mph car, when he was going real quick the stig, and he came around the corner, he lost the rear end, and crashed, but only small damage, then they sent it back the car, and they installed a wing, and the car was 4 seconds quicker!!!!!!!

Well if u guys watch top gear you would see how greatly a wing is needed at high speeds. Like when they tested the swedish 250mph car, when he was going real quick the stig, and he came around the corner, he lost the rear end, and crashed, but only small damage, then they sent it back the car, and they installed a wing, and the car was 4 seconds quicker!!!!!!!
Yeah, well, you tell me when the average person is going to hit 140, because I'd like the see that. As far as I know, the highest posted speed limit here in North America is 80MPH.

Only stupid ricers put big wings on their cars. The smart ones make their cars really plain so cops don't think they're going fast.

Yeah, well, you tell me when the average person is going to hit 140, because I'd like the see that. As far as I know, the highest posted speed limit here in North America is 80MPH.

Only stupid ricers put big wings on their cars. The smart ones make their cars really plain so cops don't think they're going fast.

EXACTLY, those idiots with the loud exhaust, and the wing, and the 25 inch rims, and the tinted windows, fancy taillight, and the blue headlights, LOL, what is this? lol, then they come down the street BMMMBBBMM like wtf is that, liek there license plate vibrating is louder then the freaking subwoffer!! what noobz.

EXACTLY, those idiots with the loud exhaust, and the wing, and the 25 inch rims, and the tinted windows, fancy taillight, and the blue headlights, LOL, what is this? lol, then they come down the street BMMMBBBMM like wtf is that, liek there license plate vibrating is louder then the freaking subwoffer!! what noobz.
Then why are you trying to turn your car into that?

Then why are you trying to turn your car into that?

LOL, im not, i just want it to be quicker where did i say i wanted a wing? or a subwoofer? or big rump roast rims? all i would want is a EJ20H , some oem rims that looks nice, and possibly? umm? better speakers, but no subwoofer, and OEM stereo i have a special thing between me and that radio lol.

I have no desire to get into the merits of street racing, track racing, riceness, pimpness, etc. but I do feel that some 'hard' numbers should be somewhere in this thread.

Assuming the wing has a chord of 7 inches and a span of 4 feet and an airfoil that is operating at a CL of 1 (perfectly reasonable for 'general public', once you start getting into the real racing stuff they use high lift foils with CL's approaching 1.5-1.8), and assuming standard sea level conditions.

45 mph - 12 lb

60 mph - 21.5 lb

70 mph - 29 lb

80 mph - 38 lb

90 mph - 48 lb

100 mph - 60 lb

120 mph - 86 lb

140 mph - 116 lb

250 mph - 370 lb

Again this is assuming a CL of 1.0 and I could easily see the wing on the STi, EVO, Porsche, etc. operating at 1.2. The drag penalty is going to vary fairly significantly between wings due to inferference effects at the ends, the flow quality, aspect ratio, etc. but at 80 mph for the pressumed wing above (assuming minimal interference) it'll be around 2-3 lb.

For those wondering, I'm 3 weeks away from graduating with an aerospace engineering degree and I spent last year as the aerodynamicist of a very successful human powered airplane design team and have also focused my schooling on aerodynamics, so these numbers do have merit.

He's flying too low?

Depends on what it is designed for and/or if its adjustable. It can be set or adjusted to provide lots of downforce at low speeds with a tremendous drag penalty at higher speeds. Some are meant to stabilize a car at high speeds, some at medium. Typically a real factory wing (STi, EVO, as opposed to Toyota Tercel) is meant to provide significant downforce around 70 mph or so. Grand touring type cars may have a wing or spoiler that keeps the car stable at Autobahn type speeds. The cars with pop-up type spoilers usually engage around 70 mph or so, too.

The rear wing is used to plant the rear end of the car, whether its FWD, AWD, or RWD. If you are racing and the car is FWD, just like 99% of other cars with its engine in the front... you have a lighter back-end. Less weight = less grip. So a wing is used to provide extra traction at the rear for high speed cornering. Do FWD cars need it on public streets? No.

Also some wings/spoilers are not meant to increase downforce, per se. They are used to reduce lift. Just like a plane, if you get going fast enough you create a low pressure spot above the car that can start lifting the car, decreasing traction. Adding a hundred pounds of downforce is typically used for a racing car.