Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I like the forester, but its too 'sporty' for my tastes.

And by sporty, I mean its no fun on long trips because its based on the impreza.

Long trips a lot? Outback.

In town a lot? Forester.

I never thought i would see Forester and Sporty in the same sentence.

nipper

I never thought i would see Forester and Sporty in the same sentence.

nipper

Apparently you didn't see the SEMA Forester XT Sport - which apparently will be produced.

Tons of Foresters here in Boston and other urban snowbelt cities - lots of room for a short, easily parked vehicle.

From autoblog:

Subaru took the wraps off its refreshed Forrester and showed the assembled crowd at SEMA the new, more aggressive nose, and how dipping into the performance parts catalog could make it even more of a terror. The 2007 Forester Sports model has a few cool styling changes lifted from the JDM model and better standard equipment. The Forester Sports 2.5 X and XT build on the standard 2007 Forrester models with black mesh grilles, deleted roof rails, and the new front clip. And of course, the XT differs from the X in using the turbocharged 224-horsepower Boxer engine from the 2.5 XT Limited model, as well as standard VDC Stability Control.

While the Sports XT on display looked good with those upgrades and its standard 17-inch alloy wheels, the better car was on the other side of the booth. By checking off all of the boxes in its STi catalog of performance accessories, Subaru got into the real spirit of SEMA and offered up a modified Sports XT that looked for all the world like a rally-ready crossover. Really nice package. Click the thumbs for big pics and follow the jump for the full press release.

I have owned both....2 Legacy wagons and 2 Foresters. Both are different and more the same than different. Body styling is different. Legacy's had more body roll and a little bit more rear seat room than the 02 Forester. My 04 Forester has a little more rear leg room, but tighter side to side.

Power.....the Legacys ( both were 2.2L 5 speeds ) had enough to get along quite well, not speed demons, but not a slug either. The Foresters 2.5L with a 5 speed were noticeably quicker....and cornered much better.

Both has about the same room ( capacity wise ) behind the rear seats, just shaped differently. The taller but narrower Forester has worked better for us ( 2 adults and 2 teens ). But once again this is all relative and subjective.

My advise...drive both and see which fits your needs better. They are both selling well, so Subaru seems to be fitting those needs.