Ultimate Subaru Message Board

found a 97 limited a/t outback

just a few questions, owner says it needs , knock sensor, front axle, and the rear transfer case needs work, a shop says 1200 bucks total , 160,000mi on motor, black ,leather interior, i can get it for like 2000 bucks or lower , it's in area that there are not to many subaru's , just your comments ,good price ? bad price? etc.... thanks

i wouldn't want a 2.5 with that many miles on it unless it had the head gaskets replaced. this thread doesn't need to turn into another head gasket discussion, just do a search on "head gasket" in this forum and do a little reading.

subaru's don't have a "transfer case" so make sure you're not getting hosed. if it's binding, do a search on "torque bind" on this forum and read up on it a little. sometimes changing the ATF can alleviate that. but if it's been driven awhile like that the rear clutches probably need replaced. installing the FWD fuse in the FWD fuse holder will disable the rear transfer clutches and allow you to drive the vehicle around in FWD with no problems.

if there aren't many subarus around and you need a car right now then you don't have much choice, but that's high in this area for a vehicle with problems and particularly problems that bad. you have to go with local supply and demand and you're present need.

ENOUGH WITH THE HEADGASKETS!

and your wrong, as they get older the HG's are being replaced (10-15% of the cars affected by it). Talk about beating a :horse:

The reason why i would walk away from it is the Clutch pack (no transfer case). First off just them calling it by the wrong name is a bad sign. Secondly its a 800-1000 repair.

Personally i dont think thats a bad price (check blue book to see what ahealthy one goes for). Check the tires to make sure thay all match.

WHich shop says they can do it for 1200, that sounds low. Also get a compression or cylinder output test done on it to check it out.

DO the math, see what one of those in your area go for in good condition, as oppsed to what you are paying for it plus repairs.

BTW I bought mine with 180,000 miles on it, engine blew at 196,000 due to previous owner weird oil change intervals (once a year weather it needed it or not).

I have 1997 OBW ltd and love it. I loved it so much I put an engine in it without thinking twice.

nipper