Ultimate Subaru Message Board

engine + wiring harness removal?

What are all of the tools I will need to remove the engine and wiring harness from a 90-94 legobrick?I will be pullling a motor at the spokane pull and save 2 hours away from my house so I can't just go home and grab a 17 mm socket.

the motor of choice is an Ej22 OB1.lets just say my 87 Gl needs a better motor...mumbles something about EA82's being worthless

Large Hammer

Chisel

HackSaw

Vise Grips

1/2" Breaker bar

Essentials for the yard!

1/4" drive socket set

3/8" drive socket set

1/2" drive socket set

Combination wrench set

2 large screwdrivers

1/4 or 3/8 pin punch

Side Cutters

Most of the hardware on the motor is 10, 12 or 14mm

Make sure you have a 6 point deep 14mm socket

Lower starter nut is 17mm sometimes

To get all the wiring out of the car, pull the left front fender and drop or pull the steering wheel. You need to fish all the ECU wires out. Sometimes I pull the dash.

Do they have a A-frame for the hoist?

Bring an electric screwdriver or electric drill with a nutdriver attachment. There are lots of screws and 10mm's that have to come out to get the dash out. You also need to take out the entire heater/AC box also in order to get the wiring harness out. (and the drivers side fender).

If you are doing a Vanagon, aircraft, or other transplant, don't forget you need lots of related bits to make the engine run in another vehicle.

Download this document

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/files/Wiring%20/ (scroll down for the file below)

Wiring Harness Removal Instructions.doc

and more general:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/subaruvanagon/files/

under FAQs/What parts do I need from the donor car?

For a newbie, can I ask what the implements of destruction are intended for (hammer, chisel, hacksaw)?...

Will be (paying someone) to swap a 2.2 for a 2.5 in my 96 OBW and am just curious if those are time saving shortcuts to keep yard time down versus something you'd do "the long way" on a car that ran.

The hammer and chisel will come in handy seperating the motor from the trans...which is usually a PIA if left to the elements. A hacksaw makes quick work of hoses that have broken or otherwise frozen clamps...or more importantly, an uncooperative exhaust manifold.

For a newbie, can I ask what the implements of destruction are intended for (hammer, chisel, hacksaw)?...

Will be (paying someone) to swap a 2.2 for a 2.5 in my 96 OBW and am just curious if those are time saving shortcuts to keep yard time down versus something you'd do "the long way" on a car that ran.

Still lots of fun getting bloody in the yard!:brow:

Jay

Bandages?

The hammer and chisel will come in handy seperating the motor from the trans...which is usually a PIA if left to the elements. A hacksaw makes quick work of hoses that have broken or otherwise frozen clamps...or more importantly, an uncooperative exhaust manifold.

Jay

Pulled the motor.The car was showing 196K on the odometer.and had some damage with looked to be enough to total the car(I hopes)

the motor came from a 91.the computer I got two weeks earliar came frome the same car...although one thing I didnt notice until I pulled the motor was someone had grabed the alternator...does a GM alternator fit with some tweaking like the EA82's or do I have to find a subaru alternator?

didn't grab the harness though...

Jay

Roger that.... delicacy comes second...