Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newer clutch but SERIOUSLY shakes, shutters

96 OBW, 148K miles.

Had the clutch replaced around 142K at a private garage. No doubt it was bad.

Now when the car is cold, first start in AM and after a full work day I can disengage the clutch no problem. Minimal revving and nice smooth clutch release.

BUT...after the car warms up or is restarted soon after shutdown it is virtually impossible to releast the clutch without any SERIOUS shaking.

I swear I drive it no differently at either time.

Ive looked at all 16 pages of posts but did not see a good answer for me?

Thanks for any advice you have.

It's somewhat unusual for the complaint to be that shudder is a problem when warm, but not cold; often, it's the opposite. So, I'll go out on a limb a bit and make some perhaps-unorthodox suggestions.

In particular if this model has a clutch damper, if the hydraulics were opened make sure that things were bled correctly afterward. Is there any possibility if there originally was a damper that it was removed?

Maybe the break-in didn't go well; you could try intentionally slipping the clutch just a bit and see if that cleans up the face and improves things.

At 148k, if the engine/trans mounts are original, they might need replacement; maybe they got damaged or something was left loose when the clutch work was done.

96 OBW, 148K miles.

Had the clutch replaced around 142K at a private garage. No doubt it was bad.

Now when the car is cold, first start in AM and after a full work day I can disengage the clutch no problem. Minimal revving and nice smooth clutch release.

BUT...after the car warms up or is restarted soon after shutdown it is virtually impossible to releast the clutch without any SERIOUS shaking.

I swear I drive it no differently at either time.

Ive looked at all 16 pages of posts but did not see a good answer for me?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Haven't experienced this problem in my Subaru, but my '91 BMW 318iS does something similar...it develops mild clutch judder when being driven in stop & go traffic and the temps go up. Replaced the clutch (disc, pressure plate & throwout bearing) for another reason...new clutch does the exact same thing. Evidently this is a common issue with this car.

Anyway, I think that I would lean towards seconding 99OBW's thoughts; motor/trans mounts; the clutch itself is probably what's causing the judder, but if everything else was in good shape, you'd never notice it. Mounts may have been strained during the clutch installation. Alternately, perhaps the shop which did the clutch used a non OEM grade clutch disc which has linings which get funky when they heat up.

Good luck!

Nathan

If this was a consistent problem at all operating temperatures, I'd say it was the flywheel. I had 3 different clutch/pressure plates installed and the flywheel resurfaced 5 times in mine before I got rid of the shudder.

My shudder was detectable whenever you let out the clutch at low RPM's (or let it out to the contact point with the brake on) and also when you downshifted from higher RPM's to the point that there was compression braking. Was severe enough that I could hear the passenger bucket seat vibrating back and forth. Just something to consider as a possibility....

Did not seem to be related to the vehicle being hot or cold though....

So I'm an old school guy but the pressure plates and flywheels on the EA series moters have to be offset by 120º as indicated by a "0" stamped into each component. Do the newer clutch set-ups requier this as well??? If so, that is where I'd start looking. Tim

A few questions

1- Was the flywheel machined (subaru flywheels dont take kindly to machining).

2- What brand clutch was put in (many complaints about inexpensive popular clutch kits out there). OE is really the only place to go for some parts, this is one of them.

nipper