Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Add aux to OEM radio? first gen legacies?

Well i was searching around, and i see only some models came with aux, but it sounds pretty simple to wire up a internal aux, and make it like this one. Might i ask, is this how the CD came from factory? Looks pretty good, never seen it. Thanks, i use the tape at the moment with the stereo jack, but it looks so cheap, and i think this amp sounds VERY good, and it sounds very good with the tape, but not perfect, and it NEEDS to be perfect icon_razz.gif , just the speakers need to be changed, and possibly add a small sub and amp under the seat like the newer subaru's(legacy, baja, etc).

6ad5_1.JPG

that aux plug is only on the 90/91 legacys for some reason. If you have a radio w/o the plug I was told you can have someone with some electronics knowledge put it in...(there is a spot on the circuit board for it)

You can put a factory CD player to that radio b/c it does have the din plug in the back.

FWIW, i have had a bunch of 1st gen legacys...that is hands down one of the best factory radios I have ever owned.

that aux plug is only on the 90/91 legacys for some reason. If you have a radio w/o the plug I was told you can have someone with some electronics knowledge put it in...(there is a spot on the circuit board for it)

You can put a factory CD player to that radio b/c it does have the din plug in the back.

FWIW, i have had a bunch of 1st gen legacys...that is hands down one of the best factory radios I have ever owned.

thanks for the reply, i think ill pull it out one off these days, because i want to change all the button lights(is that difficult?) and i , well my dad has good soldering skills, is it very straight forward? (ground, left,right?)

thanks for the reply, i think ill pull it out one off these days, because i want to change all the button lights(is that difficult?) and i , well my dad has good soldering skills, is it very straight forward? (ground, left,right?)
Why not just scrounge one from a car with the kind of radio you want. It would be a lot easier than getting a jack and wiring it in yourself.

Why not just scrounge one from a car with the kind of radio you want. It would be a lot easier than getting a jack and wiring it in yourself.

ya but where is the main question, i dont want to spend to much on a 14+ radio.

Like this guy here, hes crazy, 169 for the radio and cd? sounds pretty dam pricey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-94-Subaru-Legacy-AM-FM-Cassette-6-CD-Changer-Stereo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38640QQihZ008QQitemZ180058011469QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto

ya but where is the main question, i dont want to spend to much on a 14+ radio.

Like this guy here, hes crazy, 169 for the radio and cd? sounds pretty dam pricey.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/90-94-Subaru-Legacy-AM-FM-Cassette-6-CD-Changer-Stereo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38640QQihZ008QQitemZ180058011469QQrdZ1QQtcZphoto

You're on ebay! That's why! Get somebody who's close to a JY to sell you one for half that price.

No. If you want a CD player, get a brand new radio or hunt down the attachment. Why if you're getting a radio with the aux would you want a CD player as well? Seems redundant to me.

ya good point, doesn't seem easy to find the radio with a aux, i still think i might solder it, but how hard can it be to add? anyone seen pics, or has anyone explained the proccess?

I can't honestly answer your question...I don't do any of my own electronics work...i farm it out to Eddie my long time friend and electronics guru.

If you do buy an add on player make sure you get one that is for that generation of radios. I was told (but never confirmed) that the din plug in the back is different from that radio to lets say a 99 legacy radio.

No. If you want a CD player, get a brand new radio or hunt down the attachment. Why if you're getting a radio with the aux would you want a CD player as well? Seems redundant to me.

I looked closely at the item offered on eBay and the CD player offered is for a CD changer that sits under the passenger seat. What you see under this stereo is the head control unit. I have the OEM CD and it doesn't look like this. Mine looks like the one shown in the '91 Legacy brochure.

The "aux" jack is iPod compatible, which I use occassionaly. The "aux" port was originally intended for portable CD players. The OEM CD is hard to find and dealers want $1000 :eek: . They do show up on eBay occassionally and bidding can get up to $200.

I prefer the OEM stereo because crack head stereo thieves don't want factory, they want the new stuff. Put a new stereo in a 15 year old car and hope they don't look inside your car. Tint the windows and you increase your chances of a break in.

I looked closely at the item offered on eBay and the CD player offered is for a CD changer that sits under the passenger seat. What you see under this stereo is the head control unit. I have the OEM CD and it doesn't look like this. Mine looks like the one shown in the '91 Legacy brochure.

The "aux" jack is iPod compatible, which I use occassionaly. The "aux" port was originally intended for portable CD players. The OEM CD is hard to find and dealers want $1000 :eek: . They do show up on eBay occassionally and bidding can get up to $200.

I prefer the OEM stereo because crack head stereo thieves don't want factory, they want the new stuff. Put a new stereo in a 15 year old car and hope they don't look inside your car. Tint the windows and you increase your chances of a break in.

IMO if you want more power, just run a separate amp. I prefer the look of OEM anyway, don't like the car to look totally aftermarket(small things like, strut bar, and thats all lol)