Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best wipers for my Outback?

Hi there,

I just got a nice used 96 2.2L 5 speed Outback and I want to replace the nearly-worn-out wipers with something great. I'm in Colorado and yes it snows here so that would be a consideration. There seem to be some good choices out there but I thought I'd ask people here first in case there was a clearly superior choice.

Thanks!

-Steve

Valeo...awesome, no streaks, no place for ice to build up, easy install

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/valeo/ultimate.jsp

---buy one - get one

+1 basically any off the never ones are very good, ask long as there is no metal frame, that seem to freeze and cause streaking in the winter, the elastic type wipers seem to be the best.

i really like the rain-x brand wipers. silicone blades so they wipe more smoothly and last longer.

Wow. Glad you liked 'em. I've had terrible luck. I got rain-x wipers this summer, and they've lasted less time than any other wipers I've ever had. Never again for me. Didn't realize they were silicone, otherwise I probably would've passed. Silicone sounds like a great idea, but last silicone ones I had (several years ago) sucked as well. Not as bad as these rain-x's though.

Strange. Did you just get your rain-x's? Mine worked really well for about a month, then started streaking/leaving an unwiped blob right in front of my face. And I live in colorado, meaning I don't really use them too often. After ~4 months of sporadic use...they are total useless garbage.

Just ordered up some Valeo ultimates. Seems like a cool concept (i.e. no moving parts) -- hope it pans out, unlike the seemingly cool silicone concept.

So, **never** rain-x again for me. Complete junk, worst I've ever had. If the valeo's don't work well (and I mean well enough to justify the higher price)...I'll be going straight back to Anco (nothing exceptional, but work exactly like you'd expect, and the price is right), or Michelen (which I've had good luck with, aren't too $$$, and just happen to be OEM for my '02 OBW).

All proving, once again..........YMMV!

OH, AND....

Public service announcement: TireRack.com is running a BOGO special right now on Valeo Ultimates, throught Dec. 31. And no, you don't have to buy two sets (e.g. buy one 22", your free one does not have to be that same size). I paid the price for one wiper, and got a 20" and a 22" for that price.

Pretty much a no-brainer to give these a try, IMO. Hopefully they will not suck.

Cool, thanks for all the input! I figured there was something to be learned from you guys and I was right. I think it's gonna be Valeo, based on the tirerack.com sale. I don't know about bumping up an inch in size....anybody else do this? Seems like on my 96 OB the driver's side might actually be able to take an inch over stock (stock is 21 in I think) but the passenger side looks too close to take the chance. Of course the driver's side is what matters anyway.

-Steve

Well, I'm not bumping up any inches. 22" and 20" are straight spec for my '02.

Bumping up an inch is prolly gonna be ok, but beware: different manufacturers seem to measure differently. Next time you're at walmart, checker, etc. look at different brands in supposedly the same lenghth. They vary by at least an inch. I'd say if you're buying sight-unseen, stick with stock length. While it probably does little if any harm...having a wiper that is truly too long is very annoying, as it hangs up and ca-lunks with every wipe.

Personally, I've never felt like I needed any extra inches. YMMV!!!

Ditto on the Rain-X wipers. JUNK!!! We have replaced several windshields over just the last couple of months from the mounts failing which releases the blade and scratches the hell out of the windshield. Not to mention the complaints we hear about the constant streaking just to find out they recently installed these wipers. MUCH better choices out there!

We switched from Trico Exact-Fit to Bosch (re-labeled for PRP) for retail and the Bosch seem to be a descent 6 month wiper. Currently working to obtain wholesale pricing on Valeo 900 Ultimate wipers as an alternative or OEM replacement. Personally have these on my 95 Sube and 05 4runner and I would say of all we have tested over the years, nothing comes close. Downfall is pricing with the exception of the current special at Tirerack.com. VERY good deal on them.

Ditto on the Rain-X wipers. JUNK!!! We have replaced several windshields over just the last couple of months from the mounts failing which releases the blade and scratches the hell out of the windshield. Not to mention the complaints we hear about the constant streaking just to find out they recently installed these wipers. MUCH better choices out there!

We switched from Trico Exact-Fit to Bosch (re-labeled for PRP) for retail and the Bosch seem to be a descent 6 month wiper. Currently working to obtain wholesale pricing on Valeo 900 Ultimate wipers as an alternative or OEM replacement. Personally have these on my 95 Sube and 05 4runner and I would say of all we have tested over the years, nothing comes close. Downfall is pricing with the exception of the current special at Tirerack.com. VERY good deal on them.

Odd here in NY i couldnt get more then 2 months out of Bosch, but got 6 out of Trico. Guess its just up to your local enviorment.

nipper

Call Superrupair in Boulder. 888.442.6508

Not my favorite place for repairs, but great for new and used parts. Chances are excellent they'll have your wiper arm.

Hey Skizix,

I'm in Boulder too. I agree that Superrupair is not my 1st choice for repair either. Where are you going around here for Subaru service?

Thanks,

Steve

Hey Skizix,

I'm in Boulder too. I agree that Superrupair is not my 1st choice for repair either. Where are you going around here for Subaru service?

Thanks,

Steve

Best place ever is Mobile Mechanics. However, they are in Golden, so I don't know if that works for you (I work in Lakewood, so it is good for me). They are incredibly honest, will always talk a customer out of getting work done if they don't feel it's needed, and pretty much always come in at or under estimate -- pretty much the opposite of superrupair on all those counts. The downside to MM is that they are only a 2-bay shop, and everyone who goes there comes back, so appointments are usually 1-2 weeks out.

Independent Motors (boulder) seem like good, straight-ahead guys. Had only good experiences the couple times I've used them over the years. However, their estimates seem to be a bit higher than MM for the same job. And they tried to sell me an "emissions system flush", wherein some solvent is run through the intake and is supposed to clean out the cat, supposedly with a 60% chance of fixing my 420 cat-efficiency code. Could be legit, but sounds like snake oil to me.

Those are the only three shops I've ever taken a sube to. Good luck.

Best place ever is Mobile Mechanics. However, they are in Golden, so I don't know if that works for you (I work in Lakewood, so it is good for me). They are incredibly honest, will always talk a customer out of getting work done if they don't feel it's needed, and pretty much always come in at or under estimate -- pretty much the opposite of superrupair on all those counts. The downside to MM is that they are only a 2-bay shop, and everyone who goes there comes back, so appointments are usually 1-2 weeks out.

Independent Motors (boulder) seem like good, straight-ahead guys. Had only good experiences the couple times I've used them over the years. However, their estimates seem to be a bit higher than MM for the same job. And they tried to sell me an "emissions system flush", wherein some solvent is run through the intake and is supposed to clean out the cat, supposedly with a 60% chance of fixing my 420 cat-efficiency code. Could be legit, but sounds like snake oil to me.

Those are the only three shops I've ever taken a sube to. Good luck.

Hey guys, several years ago I was living in Louisville, CO, and I took my OBW to a place called Coyote Motors in Boulder for a wheel bearing swap. They advertised themselves as a Subaru-Mazda shop. I was pleased with the quick turnaround, very pleased with the price, and have been exceptionally pleased with their workmanship. If they're still in business (off North Broadway, near all that new construction in the vicinity of the Bus Stop) then I'd recommend them -- and since I routinely do most of my own work, I'm picky about any pro mechanics that I recommend.