Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#4 cylinder shot - replace them all?

I had a compression test done today and it turns out the #4 is at 10 psi. The others are between 145 and 155 psi. Car has 151K miles on it and I've only owned it for 3 months. Haven't even had the chance to drive it hard because shortly after buying it, the 4EAT that was swapped into it was dying. Basically been babying it ever since I've owned not. Not cool. This car is looking more and more like a lemon that I bought from a localish dealer...

So now the question is if I should just have the #4 replaced or do them all? What type of costs for parts and hours would this entail?

It is possible that you have a valve that is not seating properly or something to that effect.Another scenario is that your head gaskets are starting to leak.I don't know that you need to have it rebuilt just yet.I would think you could get alot more miles out of it before then.

Also if it turns out that you need new heads,I have a good set off of an engine with only 87,000 miles of an ej22t.

Is there oil in your coolant (look for a fairly obvious rainbow-y film on top), or coolant in your oil (look for a milky, dingey goo)? Are you overheating, any time, at all? Got white smoke from tailepipe? Smell vaporized coolant (smells a bit like a musty old tent bag)? Bad head gaskets usually produce clues like these.

Got blue/grey smoke from tailpipe ever, especially when the engine's cold? That'd be rings, implying a full rebuild.

Otherwise, probably a busted or burnt valve, which is $$, but not $$$, like e.g. rings.

BTW, there are two distinct sets of rings on your pistons: oil rings and compression rings. Most often, oil rings will give first, resulting in excessive blow-by and blue smoke (especially on a cold engine), but compression rings will remain intact enough to keep engine power up and a compression test from reading **problem** (yours is severe enough to indicate **problem** btw). But the reverse is at least conceivable: spent compression rings but ok oil rings. Seems doubtful though.

If no obvious sense-able symptoms: think valve job (~$1000? +?)

You have my blessing to harass the douche you bought the car from. But all is almost certainly not lost.

Good luck.

sucks real bad but you have some options. the ideal option is just to have a leak down test done to verify where it's leaking - heads or rings. if it's just the head gasket/valves then replace the head gaskets and have a valve job done. it will run great and run forever once that's done at least.

the cheap option would be to look for a used engine. i haven't looked into the details of the EJ22T but i know on the EA82 series engine (older generation subaru's) you could just buy a non-turbo EA82 block and install it in the EA82T turbo vehicle. there are some issues, but basically it can be done fairly easily. the benefit to doing this is that the non-turbo blocks are a dime a dozen, very cheap, easy to find and typically don't have many issues. and you could just buy a long block (block, heads and all) and drop it right in. the EJ22T may be hard to score in good condition and for a decent price, but it's worth looking around.

once it's said and done, make sure your radiator is golden, replace the water pump and hoses clamps and turbo gaskets to make sure you won't loose any coolant and overheat the engine. if you keep this thing from overheating this motor will see 250,000 miles easy and you'll be happy you kept it 5 years from now.

I had a compression test done today and it turns out the #4 is at 10 psi. The others are between 145 and 155 psi. Car has 151K miles on it and I've only owned it for 3 months. Haven't even had the chance to drive it hard because shortly after buying it, the 4EAT that was swapped into it was dying. Basically been babying it ever since I've owned not. Not cool. This car is looking more and more like a lemon that I bought from a localish dealer...

So now the question is if I should just have the #4 replaced or do them all? What type of costs for parts and hours would this entail?

did they do a wet vs dry test. Odds are its eithe r a HG or a valve, as subarus dont throw piston rings. either way the HG has to be replaced.

nipper

Is there oil in your coolant (look for a fairly obvious rainbow-y film on top), or coolant in your oil (look for a milky, dingey goo)? Are you overheating, any time, at all? Got white smoke from tailepipe? Smell vaporized coolant (smells a bit like a musty old tent bag)? Bad head gaskets usually produce clues like these.

Yes, there has been yellow crap on my oil cap. Yes, the car overheated a few months ago and I replaced the thermostat. Hasn't overheated since. No billowing white smoke from the exhaust.

Got blue/grey smoke from tailpipe ever, especially when the engine's cold? That'd be rings, implying a full rebuild.
Yes, when the car has been sitting for a few days there will be a little bluish smoke from the exhaust.

No, a leakdown test was not done since the mechanic doing it does not have that. When he pulled the engine today, he found something interesting though.

Well I have found more shady stuff in this car...

The odometer reads 151,xxx miles, which I believe to be accurate due to the good shape of the body and interior...

However, when I removed the engine today, I found that it has the oil cooler which only came on the 1991 Sport Sedans. So that would lead me to believe that the motor is out of a 1991, with an undisclosed amount of mileage. What worries me most, is that the shop where the car was purchased was parting out a fairly ratty 91 Sport Sedan around the time that this 94 wagon was purchased, and that leads me to believe that the original 151,000 mile EJ22T was swapped in favor of the one out of the 91, with most likely much higher mileage.

Once I get the heads off I will be able to assess the condition of this motor...

If the engine truly is from a '91, then this car was sold to me under false pretenses FROM A DEALER IN TACOMA. The Odometer Disclosure law of Washington would've been violated. If thats the case, this whole thing could actually hold up in small claims court.

I'll wait till tomorrow when more information has been found out.

any chance you can get the vin off of both cars so some one can run thm for you.

Yes, there has been yellow crap on my oil cap. Yes, the car overheated a few months ago and I replaced the thermostat. Hasn't overheated since. No billowing white smoke from the exhaust.

Yes, when the car has been sitting for a few days there will be a little bluish smoke from the exhaust.

No, a leakdown test was not done since the mechanic doing it does not have that. When he pulled the engine today, he found something interesting though.

If the engine truly is from a '91, then this car was sold to me under false pretenses FROM A DEALER IN TACOMA. The Odometer Disclosure law of Washington would've been violated. If thats the case, this whole thing could actually hold up in small claims court.

I'll wait till tomorrow when more information has been found out.