Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need Quick Advice on a Trade-in! Please help!

Hi guys, I have a quick decision I need to make regarding whether to trade in my car or not. Right now I drive a 2003 Outback VDC Sedan. This car is nice because it has all the fixings. However, I have taken this car to the dealer more times than I can count for various reasons. (heated seats not working, speaker not working, creaking) The latest problems I just found out is the compressor belts on my AC need replacing and the brakes must also be replaced to fix a squeaking issue. ($750) Now, I know I have a guarantee trade in value of $15800 for my car, and I just found out I can get a brand new 2007 Outback basic for $19588. What do you think, should I make the trade?

Hi guys, I have a quick decision I need to make regarding whether to trade in my car or not. Right now I drive a 2003 Outback VDC Sedan. This car is nice because it has all the fixings. However, I have taken this car to the dealer more times than I can count for various reasons. (heated seats not working, speaker not working, creaking) The latest problems I just found out is the compressor belts on my AC need replacing and the brakes must also be replaced to fix a squeaking issue. ($750) Now, I know I have a guarantee trade in value of $15800 for my car, and I just found out I can get a brand new 2007 Outback basic for $19588. What do you think, should I make the trade?

Your problems sound minor to me, though annoying for sure.

Never the less, the price they are willing to give you sounds generous to me, is the basic model what you want?

Well thinking about it, I don't really need all the bells and whistles. Sure the extras are nice, but I figure I never really use any of the features. I do have a nice stereo in my Subie right now, and I guess that would be a drawback. I barely use my sunroof, heated seats, heated mirrors. Decisions decisions!

I have a guarantee trade in value of $15800 for my car, and I just found out I can get a brand new 2007 Outback basic for $19588. What do you think, should I make the trade?

Sounds like you're trading in a car (VDC Outback) that has the bugs worked out of it and trading it for a new, lesser equipped model. Remember that Outbacks are very popular in Colorado and the dealers tend to be hardasses on price. If you're are not willing to pay the price they want, someone else will. They aren't begging for customers. Wait another 3 months and see how you feel about trading.

If you're upset about the money being spent for repairs, consider locating a repair shop that isn't the dealer. $30 to change spark plugs, for example, is excessive. Belts and brakes are considered scheduled maintenance and should be done anyway. Just find someone, competent, who will do it for less.

Actually I have been considering a trade, and I was the one who started asking the dealer about it. I've been wanting to get a wagon to have more space, and Subaru has a special deal of $19588 only until the end of the year. I know the dealer charges outrageous prices, but I figured my AC is still under my extended warranty which is why I brought it there. Unfortunately, labor and parts come to well above what I expected for brakes and my warranty deductible, and I figure I could just spend an additional $4000 for a brand new car. I'm just curious if $4000 for a new car sounds like a good deal although I'm sacrificing my goodies from the VDC.

If I were you, I'd set aside the $4000 in an account dedicated for repairs and upkeep (sort of like those health savings accounts for out-of-pocket expenses) and when the money is used up on repairs, then consider trading. Concerning your need for a wagon, do you continuously find yourself in situations where having the extra space of a wagon would have helped?

I actually was offered a similar "good deal" from my dealer in South Dakota a few years after I bought the '96 OBW new. I almost took him up on it, but then I thought about the hassle of another year's payments (didn't have the cash to close the deal at the time, and was within 9 mos. of paying off the '96). So I passed on the offer. I have since put more than 180K more miles on this vehicle, with the usual amount of Subie 2.5L hassles (I did HGs, etc...), but I have been car payment freeeeeee for over 6 years, and that feels really good now!