Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wipers do not return when shut off

bgd73

I lubed up the motor, linkage, aluminum casings for blade shafts, sparked the wipers up, shook the car (they got that powerful) and now when I shut them off, they do not auto-return to all the way down, I have to switch it. This auto return works for half of its intention, as the wipers slow down for one more run and stop halfway down the windsheild. I have two motors and compared the untouched original to the loyale one I swapped in all lubed. They are identical. Is there a half burnt relay somewhere? I do remember hearing a click near the steering column for something the wipers needed to do on my other soobs.. I do not hear it anymore. H-lo intermittent all work, it is just the auto return when shut off. any help appreciated.. :)

I have a similar problem w/ my Loyale wipers. They return just fine, but sometimes won't go up all the way. They get stuck before half way up. If they make it past halfway, they will go fine. If not, I gotta bump them using the mist (single swipe). The low and hi work fine, but intermitent does this. Usually if I want intermit. wipers, I just use the "mist" button every time I need a wipe. Is there anyway to fix this problem? Will lubing up all of these parts help? It seems that whatever relay isn't giving enuff power in intermit. mode.:confused:

I've figured out that there is a box with a blue connector under the steering column (usually attached the access panel) that makes the wipers work correctly.

My car was missing this box, and they would never park themselves. When I swapped in my variable intermittent multifunction switch, I also put this box back in. Works like a charm now.

I've figured out that there is a box with a blue connector under the steering column (usually attached the access panel) that makes the wipers work correctly.

My car was missing this box, and they would never park themselves. When I swapped in my variable intermittent multifunction switch, I also put this box back in. Works like a charm now.

your quite right. :)

I resorted to changing relays for no reason. The wiper controller is the only computer type gadget on my 87 GL and I killed it.:confused:

it does intermittent timing and parking.

also, being my second 87, and knowing an oem oddity could be in several hundred thousand soobs at a time, there is a screw that holds the wiper switch near the ignitioin switch on the steel of the column, you can see it after dropping the plastic around the steering column. Sure enough, it was backed out perfectly in similar manner as my other 87. I wasn't sure if that had a multipurpose as a ground so I checked, and it isn't. :)

So, I can try the extra ground wire to the wiper motor. This box under the colom... Can it be checked out? Can it be replaced? The wipers work even with out this box?

I am fairly certain 85-94 has the same part for intermittent, and park.wipers will not park or intermittent without it. If the wipers run at all , it does not need an extra ground. It is the wiper control box. Unless there is a bizarre wiring prob, maybe the switch. From what you described it is is the typical symptoms of the wiper controller, and everything else is working.. there should be an audible click noise from lower dash a second or less after shutting off, the easiest way to tell.:)

would this blue box also be the cause of "creepy" intermittent wipers??? as in comes up a little - stops - goes a little more - stops - then goes the rest of the cycle...

again, try adding a better ground to the wiper motor body :)

I had the same problem with the intermittent wipers, and fixed it without going under the dash at all. If nothing else, it's a quick check and possible solution.

-Dave

You don't need the Int. unit to park the wipers. You just have to wire around the unit so that the P (park) terminal of the motor gets power in the off posistion of the switch. You'll lose the Int. function, but that really doesn't matter much.

Or you can use a momentary push-button switch on the dash to apply power to the park terminal of the motor and manually park the wipers that way. Lame repair, but in-line with most of your other methods and practices anyway. :lol:

GD