Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Reputation of Justy CVT

Anyone know if the CVT is really a bad deal? How hard is it to repair a CVT and keep it running? Thanks, Ennio

If the transmission is still good, then it isn't a bad deal. If the trans is going bad, you may want to get going on a search for a 5 speed trans and related gear.

For me if it was rust free 3 door, I would take it. But I have more than enough spares to make up for a bad CVT transmission.

Matthew

Anyone know if the CVT is really a bad deal? How hard is it to repair a CVT and keep it running? Thanks, Ennio

I like the Electro Continuosly Variable Transmission. I drive one daily. Keeping fresh fluid in them is esential. I haven't had any problem with mine, but it only has 70,000 miles on it.

Have you driven one?

from what i have heard they are not very reliable at all. quidam, do you own a justy with a CVT?

cricket, as this thread gets longer watch the bottom of the page.. down there is a part that says Similar Threads, and some older discussions should come up about it. I didnt check what was there before i went to type my post, but if theres nothing of interest now, wait. it changes. :)

Justy Continuously Variable Transmission. just to make it plain to the programs that cross-index these things for us. they dont like three letter acronyms like CVT, or ECU, or ABS, etc.

Orginally designed as a snowmobile transmission. The Justy's with CVT's rarely made it past 100k, and usually not even that much. The CVT Justy made it on the list of 100 worst cars of all time.

The transmissions are no longer made, and are no longer availible from Subaru. When they were, the cost was around $6,000. They cannot be rebuilt easily. In fact dealerships were instructed not to dissasemble them as they were not equipped for the job. They contain a magnetically charged "dust", and after around 100k miles of service, the continuous heating/cooling cylcing of the transmission fluid causes the failure of the cone/dust setup.

They can be converted to 5 speeds if you get the parts together.

GD

from what i have heard they are not very reliable at all. quidam, do you own a justy with a CVT?

Yes, I own two of them. One needs a magnetic clutch and I have it. Did you know, that the magnetic fluid is probably replaceable?

Quote from Wikipedia.com

"The CVT version was able to get reasonable acceleration out of the small engine. In the United States, because of the long distances, the CVT was considered not reliable, but this has not been the case in other countries."

This tranny has been maligned by people who didn't understand it and don't know how to properly maintain it. Parts cost is another issue. But it ain't rocket science to work on it.

If I told you that a lot of computer crashes, hard disc failures were opperator error, can you see what I mean?

Same with this ECVT tranny.

I'm done with this. I hear a lot of stuff from people who have NEVER owned or even driven one.

I'm done with this. I hear a lot of stuff from people who have NEVER owned or even driven one.

What exactly does driving it or owning it have to do with anything at all? Actually taking one apart and (successfully) rebuilding it might give you some insight, but you haven't done that have you? You have fallen into the same trap as BDG - just cause you own it, it MUST be ok. You have a low mileage CVT - it could go at any time, or it could last a while. You have no way of knowing. But the point is that it's going to do whatever it does REGARDLESS of you being the owner or not. You are taking our comments personally when they are not even directed at you.

And exactly where are you going to source the fluid (dust)?

Don't you suppose there's a good reason Subaru told the dealer's not to open them up?

Besides ALL of this, what's wrong with a manual? Why bother with a questionable CVT auto when plenty of reliable manual tranmissions are availbile. It is widely agreed that the CVT had problems in the Justy. Subaru still makes the CVT in japan, but only on it's "micro" cars - smaller than the Justy. It was not appropriate for a car that size, and that's why it's no longer offered in one.

GD