Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tire cables/Chains: Who uses 'em?

Since we had our 5-year blizzard last week, I've been thinking a lot about tire chains or cables. As I understand it most modern cars don't have the fender clearance to allow chains to work, which is why cables are the recommended alternative. While I saw a lot of trucks/SUVs with chains on the road (they were about the only ones moving) I don't recall seeing any cars with those tire cables.

I did own a set for an old (2wd) Ford Ranger pickup I owned when I lived in Laramie, but I never actually used them. One thing that seemed like a drawback was that there was some kind of a chart that indicated that they could only be expected to go 20 or 30 miles before breaking, the idea I guess being that they're for emergencies only, you use them to get to some kind of shelter and then hunker down until the roads are in better shape.

So what's the consensus for Subarus? Do they really add much over a decent set of snow tires? Difficult to put on and/or keep chained? Do you run them on all fours wheels or just on the fronts?

I like the idea of something that will keep me from getting stuck again but if these cables are pretty worthless then I won't worry about them.

Since we had our 5-year blizzard last week, I've been thinking a lot about tire chains or cables. As I understand it most modern cars don't have the fender clearance to allow chains to work, which is why cables are the recommended alternative. While I saw a lot of trucks/SUVs with chains on the road (they were about the only ones moving) I don't recall seeing any cars with those tire cables.

I did own a set for an old (2wd) Ford Ranger pickup I owned when I lived in Laramie, but I never actually used them. One thing that seemed like a drawback was that there was some kind of a chart that indicated that they could only be expected to go 20 or 30 miles before breaking, the idea I guess being that they're for emergencies only, you use them to get to some kind of shelter and then hunker down until the roads are in better shape.

So what's the consensus for Subarus? Do they really add much over a decent set of snow tires? Difficult to put on and/or keep chained? Do you run them on all fours wheels or just on the fronts?

I like the idea of something that will keep me from getting stuck again but if these cables are pretty worthless then I won't worry about them.

on a 4wd/awd car, unles you are in the extreems where you get snow all year (think ant artica) a good set of snow tires on all 4 wheels and sane driving will be just as good. Chains are important if you need traction for going up an incline, or ice packed roads. If you are in that kind of territory your better off with studed snowtires.

Also another thing to consider is ground clearance. If the snow is deep enough, and you get one tire front and rear to loose traction, you really arent going anywhere. Trucks use chains since time is money, and they have a lot of tonage to try to control, and only a few drive wheels that are relativly close together. They try to load the trucks as far forward as possible, but once you loose drive traction, your not moving.

Strap chains are better for emergencies then full chains, Full chains better if you can anticipate the need. I've never had any type of traction aid last more then a few storms.

nipper

Martin, cable chains are hugely effective in deep snow. But with passenger car radials (which don't have very robust sidewalls compared to truck tires) they can chew up a set of tires pretty quickly if you go too far or too fast. They're also a pain to install, as it's usually snowing like a mf once you decide you need them.

Studless or studded radials are a whole lot more convenient because you can slog through deep snow to a highway, then travel at reasonable speed.

A guy at work just bought some studded Nokian Hakka II's and they're pretty cool - not many studs so they're pretty quiet on the highway as snows go.

If you're not going for dedicated snows, the Nokian WR is an all-season with the Severe Duty Snow rating (the mountain snowflake icon). Or you can scour craigslist for a used set. A new AS will do a lot better in snow than the worn ones.

Since I'm replacing my tires next month anyway, I'll probably get some kind of dedicated snow tires. Then, come springtime, I'll buy a set of steel rims and have all-seasons mounted on them for the rest of the year. Kind of a PITA to have to swap tires, but I really don't want to have to face the kind of snow we had last week without something better than those all season tires.

I'm also going up a size (from 205/70s to 205/75s) to get just a smidgen more clearance. The actual difference is about .8" diameter, which means .4" radius, so I don't anticipate any clearance issues.

If the snow is deep enough to give your Soob a problem, I'm not sure you should be out in the first place?

Chains should get you a little farther but...

once the snow is DEEP, your not going anywhere in your Soob anyway.

Once we start pushing snow, the end is in sight:eek:

Ice is a different story...:-\

Chains would help on Ice.

I'm in the mountains quite a bit but I don't have chains for my Subaru.

I do have them for my Trooper. In a bad storm I'd take chains and the Trooper.

In a bad storm I'd take chains and the Trooper.

in a bad storm , i'd stay home!! and as much as i'd like to test my outback in a little snow, we don't get enough to really do that. also, it's not the snow that is the most challenging, it's the other drivers. regardless of wether or not i could drive in it , i know the other guys don't know how to drive in it. i'm staying home if i can.

but it is fun.

i'd get the cheap steel rims now and put the snow tires on those. then, come spring, use your nicer rims with the summer tires.

remember, for snow, it's counter-intuitive. a thinner (narrower), slightly taller tire is best for traction in snow. it puts more pressure (per square inch) on the contact patch for better ice grip and cuts though the snow instead of "floating" on top. then, get wider, shorter sidewall tires for spring, summer and fall performance.

What is this "snow" thing i keep hearing about. It's dec 26th, and my strawberries are in bloom. It's 62 degrees outside. It should be in the low 30's. At this rate i may have to trade in the Outback for a convertable....

nipper

We haven't had any accumulating snow yet this season here in the mountain state. A coule dustings, and that's it. I'm starting to wish I hadn't put my snows on.:-\ Although we do have right around 38 now, and it's been spitting a wintry mix outside. Of course, our weather here is pretty unpredictable, so I'm hoping for some major white stuff.:grin: The weather channel shows this as unlikely, though. *sigh*

As for tire chains...I've never run them on my Subie before. Or had the need. I just run studded snows. They're noisy but worth it. I've had no trouble at all, even when the road is too icy to stand up on.