Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help with a couple items please.

My 1985 EA82 has been converted to a Weber 32/36 carb and its ready now to be installed on my Trike and finish hooking things up.

There are 2 wires coming off the Dist. One is yellow, one is black with white stripe. I know one must go to the coil, but I don't know what one. And I don't know what the other is for.

Next there are two vacuum lines on the Dist. Can anyone tell me where each one goes. I'm sure one has to go to the carb, but I don't know what one or where the second one goes. Does either one get manifold vacuum?

A little help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob

Thanks General, If I understand this correctly then, the inner one will go to the carb for vacuum advance. Is that correct. I don't think it would go to the intake manofold. But I'd like to be sure. And then just leave the outside one open and not plugged.

Thanks again for your help. I received my adapter plate today so I'm getting it ready to mount. I'll be ready to fire it by sometime next week after I get my exhaust pipes made for it.

Bob

Vac can has nothing to do with 2WD or 4WD - it's the CA emissions models with the feedback ECU that have the two pot can. You use the inner port for the advance, and leave the other port alone (disconnected, and NOT plugged) - it's a vacuum retard used by the ECU on the feedback models.

GD

2wd cars were classified as "passenger cars" by the transportation dept.

4wd cars were classified as "light duty trucks" and it does make a difference in for emmision controls in many cases. california or otherwise.

Yes - but he's in CA, and we already established in another thread that his engine IS from a feedback CA model. Thus it's just like the one in MY driveway. Hope that clears things up for ya. Also, 4WD's were imported as "multi-purpose vehicles" or simply "MPV", which may be the same as what you called a "light duty truck", but a Loyale wagon don't look like no truck to me, and I have a feeling they are different designations. The exception is the Brat - in 86 and 87 years ONLY it was imported as a truck. Thus those years do not have the jump seats, and Subaru pulled it from the market because they didn't want to pay the ~30% import tarrif on it, and sales were not good enough.

And Bob - you are correct. Inner port goes to the ported vacuum on the front of the Weber. The slightly lower of the two weber ports goes to the EGR - that one usually comes from Redline with a small brass bolt threaded into it as many applications do not have EGR.

GD

Ok thanks again General. I no longer have an EGR so I'll just leave the rest alone. The only other thing I might do is go ahead and hook up the PCV valve. I'm still not 100% about that item, but I guess with the info received about it, it can't hurt to have it and just might help in the long haul.

Bob

Yes - but he's in CA, and we already established in another thread that his engine IS from a feedback CA model. Thus it's just like the one in MY driveway. Hope that clears things up for ya. Also, 4WD's were imported as "multi-purpose vehicles" or simply "MPV", which may be the same as what you called a "light duty truck", but a Loyale wagon don't look like no truck to me, and I have a feeling they are different designations. The exception is the Brat - in 86 and 87 years ONLY it was imported as a truck. Thus those years do not have the jump seats, and Subaru pulled it from the market because they didn't want to pay the ~30% import tarrif on it, and sales were not good enough.

And Bob - you are correct. Inner port goes to the ported vacuum on the front of the Weber. The slightly lower of the two weber ports goes to the EGR - that one usually comes from Redline with a small brass bolt threaded into it as many applications do not have EGR.

GD

Rick, is there an easy way to tell under the hood if a car is a feedback model or not?

Easiest way is to look for the O2 sensor

On the EA82 there is a "boost sensor" on the passenger strut tower. It's a black thing about 1.5"x3" that says boost sensor on it.

You can also look for the duty solenoids on mounted to the manifold - but those are largely obscured by the filter housing.

Also the vacuum routing diagram (if it's still there) will show the duty solenoids, etc.

GD

hm. and what would you say is the ratio of feedback cars produced vs. nonfeedback, and is it possibe or easy to put a nonfeedback setup in a feedback car?

My Brat's new owner is having the same troubles with the carb that I did, and it's a feedback model as it had an O2 sensor as well as duty solenoids...

hm. and what would you say is the ratio of feedback cars produced vs. nonfeedback, and is it possibe or easy to put a nonfeedback setup in a feedback car?

My Brat's new owner is having the same troubles with the carb that I did, and it's a feedback model as it had an O2 sensor as well as duty solenoids...

Not sure on the ratio, but it's higher in the NW as we get old cars from CA. Cars tend to migrate - they move towards poorer communities as they age.... I would guess that probably 1 in 10 is a feedback maybe - around here at least. That's about the ratio I see in the yards.

You can just yank all the feedback stuff off the EA81's and it won't really care. You can put a standard Hitachi setup on it, or a Weber with no modifications other than removing the ECU and duty solenoids. Once the ECU is removed, the dash ECS light loses it's ground circuit, so you will never know the difference.

EA82's are the complicated ones as the ECU controls the fuel pump, but not on the EA81.

GD

Yes - but he's in CA, and we already established in another thread that his engine IS from a feedback CA model. Thus it's just like the one in MY driveway. Hope that clears things up for ya. Also, 4WD's were imported as "multi-purpose vehicles" or simply "MPV", which may be the same as what you called a "light duty truck", but a Loyale wagon don't look like no truck to me, and I have a feeling they are different designations. The exception is the Brat - in 86 and 87 years ONLY it was imported as a truck.

GD

Look closely at the emission sticker for any 85,86,or 87 4WD wagon. Read the label and it clearly says this "this vehicle conforms to all applicable....regulations for (MY) light duty trucks." It does. a jeep cherokee isn't a "truck" either but that is how it is classified. Do you think I just make stuff up for fun?

Look closely at the emission sticker for any 85,86,or 87 4WD wagon. Read the label and it clearly says this "this vehicle conforms to all applicable....regulations for (MY) light duty trucks." It does. a jeep cherokee isn't a "truck" either but that is how it is classified. Do you think I just make stuff up for fun?

But it really doesn't matter - since the double input vacuum advance is used on the feedback Hitachi - regardless of 2WD or 4WD it's function remains the same. That's how the system is designed, and that's the question which was asked by Bob.

GD