Ultimate Subaru Message Board

a/c compressor engaging on its own

Hi guys, I have a 96 outback with 132,000 miles on it. The a/c compressor is engaging on its own for a second and then disengaging, This cycle is constant. The a/c is off. I live in Alaska so I dont need the A/C and have never used it since I own the car, 2 years. Any one have any idea why this may be happenning? Thanks for the help

Are you using the defrost setting for the heater control? That'll do it - the HVAC system uses the A/C to help defrost the windshield - don't remember the exact why of it.

I believe it has to do with removing moisture from the air...

Hi guys, I have a 96 outback with 132,000 miles on it. The a/c compressor is engaging on its own for a second and then disengaging, This cycle is constant. The a/c is off. I live in Alaska so I dont need the A/C and have never used it since I own the car, 2 years. Any one have any idea why this may be happenning? Thanks for the help
How are the heater controls set? As already suggested, the A/C may operate during defrost usage; when cycling normally, it may not be very noticeable. However, if the refrigerant is low, the system may try to come on, sense the problem, and then immediately shut off. I suspect the cycling you're describing is caused by that, and the system needs recharging. If you find that defrost works well enough for you without moisture removal, the A/C could possibly be disabled rather than recharging it.

My '95 Legacy was doing the exact same thing. I never use the A/C (I'm a sunroof open, windows down kinda-guy) and was mostly just concerned about the loss of gas mileage by it coming on all the time. Living in Oregon, there are only about 5 days a year you beg for A/C so I just pulled the fuse (a lot cheaper than the re-charge). Now I just drink a little extra water on those really hot days.

Haven't had a problem since...

-V5

My '95 Legacy was doing the exact same thing.[...]Living in Oregon, there are only about 5 days a year you beg for A/C so I just pulled the fuse (a lot cheaper than the re-charge).[...]

It's not just a matter of comfort. The A/C helps with defogging when the heater is in defrost mode. Whether that's important or not depends on the climate, in particular car interior moisture versus outside temperature. If fogging is a potential problem, then it makes sense to get the A/C seen to.

That's a very valid point, OB99W. However, living in Oregon where everything is damp 7 months out of the year I haven't noticed a significant difference in defrost capabilities without the A/C. Granted, the outside temp here is much more mild than most places in the winter so maybe that's why I've been able to "cheat" through it.

Any guesses what an A/C recharge costs? Can one do it themself or do you need a special license to deal with the coolant?

-V5

About $20 total from WalMart for 2 cans and the do it yourself kit. Pretty simple. I did it last summer and yup I'm pretty simple. Do a search here for techniques and warnings.

Any guesses what an A/C recharge costs? Can one do it themself or do you need a special license to deal with the coolant?

-V5