Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what else for the ea to ej swap....

Urabus-84HBDR

what else for doing the ej?? swap into an ea82t car- gl10 sedan. its F/T4WD diff lock 5sp... a few things have been done to the car such as- digi dash installed, and the air suspension removed and replaced... not sure what exact parts were used but it sits higher than any other gl10/gl10t/RX/XT/XT6 ive seen.

so what can be used besides the original wiring harness. some of you (Dr. RX, doitsidewayz, suberdave) have done mods to the ea series cars. thanks for sharing the info that all of you do. ive read about the megasquirt, does it work with this conversion, if not what does then? or the engine management system...

im pulling the ea82t out of the car and looking for an ej20 turbo, or ej22 turbo. i know i either have to match up the tranny to my rear diff/ or get the correct one. driveline? id definately want to keep it manual.

is the 5 lug swap an have to? Would I have to use the new ej brakes, rotors and axles for this, or will the gl10 system do? probly know but it is disc all around. also when doing this swap will the car remain awd or 4wd... depending on trans.? and the adaptor plate is only if i use the F/T 5 speed right?

im sure i will find more questions to ask... thanx all who has replied and those who do....

i have read and read so please dont tell me to search... thanks for anyone who posts here....

... i know i either have to match up the tranny to my rear diff/ or get the correct one. driveline? ...

You need first to Know Which Engine EJ series will be Used, then, to Find the Adaptor to Install it to the EA Gearbox... ...Then comes a Lot of Things...

I Think you should Decide / Obtain the EJ Engine First...

Could you Post here Pics of that car?

Good Luck! :)

ok im going to go for an ej20(g) turbo from a 2002 wrx.... if i can get it, it has a 6 speed manual trans. with it. i know this whole thing is out there a ways but im going to make it happen. i can and will post pics of the car soon... i know my ft4wd trans wont push the power of a newer wrx motor... but more, cmon some of you guys have tricked out ea82 cars.... boosted balls, dr. rx, i have read most to all of their threads and others that have done similiar mods on these cars.... share! i will....

You need first to Know Which Engine EJ series will be Used, then, to Find the Adaptor to Install it to the EA Gearbox... ...Then comes a Lot of Things...

I Think you should Decide / Obtain the EJ Engine First...

Could you Post here Pics of that car?

Good Luck! :)

try changing your subject line. we don't ALL read every post, just because it was posted.

From what I've heard the brand new soob trannies are virtually the same as the EA series, internally.. but obviously the EA is not 6-speed.

beyond that, I am clueless to help you.

• 2 weeks later...

alright... not getting the response i was hoping for so... anyone who has done mods to the gl-10t (ea82t)... please add or set me straight. ive heard that some of you have put on a cone filter, added an intercooler, two core radiator... im sure there is more, just cant think of them. im in a battle of actually doing the ej swap or building up the ea82t... this is a big thing for me- i love subies just like all of you! but want to be able to not worry about it dying on me... thanks for reading/posting.

try changing your subject line. we don't ALL read every post, just because it was posted.

From what I've heard the brand new soob trannies are virtually the same as the EA series, internally.. but obviously the EA is not 6-speed.

beyond that, I am clueless to help you.

all the ej 5spds are the samew as the 80's trannies, the six speed is a whole different animal way more durable and nearly impossable to destroy from what i've heard, whereas the 5spds are thought to have a glass jaw by most wrx owners, just my two cents

all the ej 5spds are the samew as the 80's trannies, the six speed is a whole different animal way more durable and nearly impossable to destroy from what i've heard, whereas the 5spds are thought to have a glass jaw by most wrx owners, just my two cents

I have heard the same except for the newer '06+ wrx's are supposed to have a much more beefed up 5speed.I am not sure if that is true or not but the info did come from a reputable subie shop.

when i started to get into street subes i wanted to make a mean EA82T. so i started getting parts for the buildup. i started doing the math and came to the conclusion that fo me to build a EA82T with close to 200HP would be almost impossable, if i wanted to drive it every day. and would cost me around 2grand.

so thats when i went the EJ20G route. cost a little more. (less than a grand more) but i now have over 200 AWHP and i drive it every day without worrying about it blowing up...

now i have one of the quickest EA bodied Subarus in the USA...

look at it this way. if you have $2500 you could have a bad A$$ EA that is at the very top limits of that engine, pushing 160-180HP, or for that same money you could have a stock EJ running at the stock limits, pushing 240-275HP and then mod the heck out of it and have even more power.

my $0.02... take it for what its worth... $0.02

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

ok im going to go for an ej20(g) turbo from a 2002 wrx....

the EJ20G is a JDM engine that came from 92-96 WRX. the 2002 WRX engine (EJ205?) will be OBDII and will be much harder to convert. best bet IMO is to stay nonOBDII.

as of yet i dont think anyone has installed an STi 6Sp into an EA body car. i have thought about it, but finding them is not easy. and when you do they go for $3500 or more.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

yea kinda what i figured too.... not worth the dollar to build the ea82t, that wont compare with a stock ejxx...

not sure what IMO or OBDII is? am i stupid? lol. help me out im, looking right now?!

also im kinda thinking of getting a JDM motor- any input here, are they junk or decent for this application?! i have read and read on these cars- both the ea and ej cars... the ej207 is the more powerful motor... but is 'supposed' to be ran on higher octane fuel... there are several small differences in the ej20k, ej20g, etc... pretty much any ej20x is better than the ea82t that i have now.

...suberdave- your using the 5 speed from the ea82t? or the 5 speed form an impreza? also are you using the stock ecu that the motor is originally mated with... what other options are there if i cant get the stock ecu... megasquirt, ems... or _____? thank you for your reply... im sure ill be back on with more questions...

the EJ20G is a JDM engine that came from 92-96 WRX. the 2002 WRX engine (EJ205?) will be OBDII and will be much harder to convert. best bet IMO is to stay nonOBDII.

as of yet i dont think anyone has installed an STi 6Sp into an EA body car. i have thought about it, but finding them is not easy. and when you do they go for $3500 or more.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

not sure what IMO or OBDII is?

In My Opnion, and On Board Diagnostic 2. anything sold after 8/96 (with a few excptions) in the USA has to comply with this.

am i stupid?

no

also im kinda thinking of getting a JDM motor- any input here, are they junk or decent for this application?!

any EJ20* pre 2002 will be JDM the usa never had a 2.0L before the 2002 WRX.

...suberdave- your using the 5 speed from the ea82t? or the 5 speed form an impreza? also are you using the stock ecu that the motor is originally mated with...

i am using the whole 96 "JDM" WRX drivetrain: engine, trans, diff, front susp, rad, brakes, ECU, wiring harness, ect...

what other options are there if i cant get the stock ecu... megasquirt, ems... or _____? thank you for your reply... im sure ill be back on with more questions...

i would only use the stock ECU with stock wiring harness

i have herd that Megasquirt will not work with an EJ due to the Crank and Cam sensors. but i have not done it so im not 100% sure.

talk to Dr.RX or SubaruTex about teh Halteck. (but this along with many other standalone will not work with the coil on plug Ign.)

the only aftermarket ECU i would use is a PowerFC. but for that you have to have the stock wiring harness.

-=Suberdave=-

www.suberdave.com

As far as MS, as long as its the crank wheel with the 6 teeth, there's a decoder for MS if you use MS1 w/ MS Extra. You'd need to add an extra circuit for a second VR input as it also uses the cam sensor output to decode it. The resellers of MS should be able to build that extra sensor into your board. Then its just all software.

Anyways, I would just go with a stock ECU for now. Too much mucking around to get MS to work on an EJ.