Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22 Brat Swap, couple questions for those who have done it

86BRATMAN

• 1 month later...

I have a question about installing an engine and transmission at the same time into an ea81 Gen 2 Brat. I want to do the Ej22 swap, and was wondering that if I was to install everything outside the car (Put the engine to the tranny with the clutch, putting the engine and tranny onto their crossmembers and putting the lift kit on) could you LIFT the whole setup into the car from underneath, all together? Or do you have to drop everything in from the top? I figure it might work using 2 or 3 jackstands and 2 or so floor jacks to lift it up and into the car crossmembers and all. I'm worried the EJ may be too wide though. Has anyone ever done this or know anything of it? Thanks.

I have a question about installing an engine and transmission at the same time into an ea81 Gen 2 Brat. I want to do the Ej22 swap, and was wondering that if I was to install everything outside the car (Put the engine to the tranny with the clutch, putting the engine and tranny onto their crossmembers and putting the lift kit on) could you LIFT the whole setup into the car from underneath, all together? Or do you have to drop everything in from the top? I figure it might work using 2 or 3 jackstands and 2 or so floor jacks to lift it up and into the car crossmembers and all. I'm worried the EJ may be too wide though. Has anyone ever done this or know anything of it? Thanks.

Well the engine itself will fit with minimal room on either side, the trans however is a pain, its a lot wider than a 4spd d/r and need a custom crossmember made. Depending on how big a lift it won't be as much trouble with fitment though

Jibs, what trans do you plan on using? PT 5sp? You can either modify your 4sp mounts onto the 5sp box or do what GD done and modify your 5sp mounts to fit the 4sp crossmember. Or you can do what I done and modify a 5sp crossmember to fit the Brat.

If your using a AWD box, then you have do work the gearbox crossmember a lot.

I'll be using the P/T D?R 5 speed. I already got what I need to make it fit from Bratsrus1 (Great Kit!:) ) So I know it fits in. We raised it in from the bottom. I just wasn't sure as to how wide the EJ was. I plan on mating the engine and tranny together, then putting the crossmembers on OUTSIDE the car, then jacking up both of them from underneath.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I might have found an EJ for the swap, with only 1 minor problem. I don't know if its an obdI or obdII engine. The owner of the engine (not in the car and he can't remember what year it came from). I have a thread going in the new gen forum as how to tell between the two. One member suggested that it may be all right to use the obdII engine with the obdI wiring harness. Anyone know if this is correct? I want to make sure I do this right the first time.:)

Ok so I might have found an EJ for the swap, with only 1 minor problem. I don't know if its an obdI or obdII engine. The owner of the engine (not in the car and he can't remember what year it came from). I have a thread going in the new gen forum as how to tell between the two. One member suggested that it may be all right to use the obdII engine with the obdI wiring harness. Anyone know if this is correct? I want to make sure I do this right the first time.:)

yes, you can. some of the connectors might be different, but an OBDI ECU and harness can control an OBDII engine.

So after reading up on the EJ swap, it seems that after enlarging the motor mount holes, the engine should be able to just drop in right? Not a whole lot of other fab work to actually FIT it then? Just a whole bunch to make it run?

So after reading up on the EJ swap, it seems that after enlarging the motor mount holes, the engine should be able to just drop in right? Not a whole lot of other fab work to actually FIT it then? Just a whole bunch to make it run?

Yep. Took about three minutes to get the holes right. Ten minutes to put the motor in. Still not running two months later... But thats more the weather's fault...

About power steering on with the conversion. If I don't have power steering on the Brat, but the ej does, is that going to be a problem? Is the PS unit easy to swap over? Or should I not worry about it? I don't care too much for power steering and if it's too big a hassle I'd just as much not deal with it. I don't know if not hooking the EJ PS unit up is going to affect anything at all though.

About power steering on with the conversion. If I don't have power steering on the Brat, but the ej does, is that going to be a problem? Is the PS unit easy to swap over? Or should I not worry about it? I don't care too much for power steering and if it's too big a hassle I'd just as much not deal with it. I don't know if not hooking the EJ PS unit up is going to affect anything at all though.

It won't matter you just need the shortest belt you can find to run just the alternator. I read somewhere the alternator bracket needs to be cut slightly to let it fully tension the belt as well. Other than that there are no ill effects of not having the ps pump. It'll free up a little hp and cut off a few pounds too.

If you are going to lift it, you might as well use a EA82 engine crossmember. Just use the lift blocks to make the two work.

There is a thread here describing it.

BW

If you are going to lift it' date=' you might as well use a EA82 engine crossmember. Just use the lift blocks to make the two work.

There is a thread here describing it.

BW[/quote']

It seems to get complicated at that point. Will I be able to use the ea81 blocks with the ea82 crossmember? Would I use the ea82 Power steering Rack? (Or does the rack not change, just the linkages?) and then I'd have to get an extension for the linkage because I have the non-PS one. I might just do away with it.:)

Which starter do you use with the swap? Ea82, xt6, or EJ? I'd be guessing ea82 as I'm using the ea5-speed. Would I need to use the lockwashers as spacers as I do for the ea81?

match your starter setup to the tranny and flywheel combo. so yes, EA82, no spacers needed.

It seems like I need a special tool to get EJ heads off? It looks like a torxx socket, 15mm right? I tried to get a pair of heads off at the yard today and couldn't. Are there any other specialty tools I will need to work on an EJ?

IIRC its a 12 point 14mm socket. 12 point stuff is kinda hard to find these days, but they usually have them at advance auto. Thats where I got mine from.

I went through about a month worth of searching for the "special subaru head bolt tool" before I actually realized what I needed.

• 1 month later...

I have some small detail questions about the swap. I'm assuming the window wash fluid resevoir gets moved? Does the hill holder need to be removed to fit the ej? What else needs to be removed from the ea81 specifically to make the ej fit? Thanks.

I have some small detail questions about the swap. I'm assuming the window wash fluid resevoir gets moved? Does the hill holder need to be removed to fit the ej? What else needs to be removed from the ea81 specifically to make the ej fit? Thanks.

Non of that stuff got in the way for me. I've had to abandon the Brat altogether because of substanially more rust than I thought I'd be dealing with. But I had the ej22 motor and trans mounted up in the bay for asome time. With full intake and all on it, and the washer tank wasn't a problem, nor the hill holder unit.

The biggest issue, whih isn't hard to remidy, with fitment is the battery placement. You can either move the battery to the drivers side or flip the ej intake pipe upside down and run it to the drivers side of the bay, Like 88Hatchmonster did.

Lets talk clutches with the ej22 swap and a 5speed D/R into a Brat. I have a basic brand clutch kit for an xt6 that I bought from autozone, but I haven't heard good things about them holding up in a wheeling rig. I looked through the centerforce site to see about a dual friction clutch for the xt6, but couldn't find any info there. I checked exedy clutch and didn't see a clutch there either. What other tough clutches are out there for this swap? I want something that'll hold up to some abuse. Thanks.