Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Upgrade from 96 to 04 outback?

Hey everyone, I'm looking for a little help.

I am thinking about upgrading from my 96 obw (2.5, AT, 113k) to a newer obw, between 03 and 05 (or newer if the price is right, but as of now, 04 seems to look like the best).

My 96 is starting to develop some problems. One is a temp gage that rises after driving for more than 5-10 miles. It never reaches hot, but dances to the top of the icon, then back to normal sporadically. I checked after one such event, and saw bubbles in the overflow. I've burped the system a couple times, but now I'm thinking it's a small exhaust leak through the HG (but I'm not mechanic). Another problem is lagging (or shuddering) at times on uphills under load, excessive exhaust (or so it seems).

I plan on having it checked out, but chances are I will still upgrade to a "more dependable roo"

Of the years from 03 and 04, which is better? I know there have been many more recalls for the 03 OB than the 04. There have been many threads about HG issues from these years as well, the last thing I want is another Subaru that has a higher chance of HG failure.

Another possibility is an 05. Not a huge fan of the new styling, but I still like it. Were there many improvements from 04 to 05?

Finally, I have not excluded legacys as an option. Any thoughts on Legacy vs. OB as far as performance and comfort? Aside from the OB ground clearance and more rugged looks.

I want to trade up or sell and upgrade.

Any help you all can give me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

eagle

I am thinking about upgrading from my 96 obw (2.5, AT, 113k) to a newer obw, between 03 and 05 (or newer if the price is right, but as of now, 04 seems to look like the best).

I plan on having it checked out, but chances are I will still upgrade to a "more dependable roo"

Of the years from 03 and 04, which is better? I know there have been many more recalls for the 03 OB than the 04. There have been many threads about HG issues from these years as well, the last thing I want is another Subaru that has a higher chance of HG failure.

I don't think there's any substantial difference, based on posts here, the HG 'problem' seems to have been worked out by '03.

----------------------------------------

Another possibility is an 05. Not a huge fan of the new styling, but I still like it. Were there many improvements from 04 to 05?

Dunno, other than a tad more ground clearence, I agree on the styling, I like the '00 - '04 better, but the new is 'OK'.

----------------------------------------

Finally, I have not excluded legacys as an option. Any thoughts on Legacy vs. OB as far as performance and comfort? Aside from the OB ground clearance and more rugged looks.

We have a '00 Legacy, which I have converted to a 'Legaback, by swapping the suspension to Outback. I handled slightly better as a Legacy, has 3" or so more ground (snow) clearance now, and I've noticed NO difference in ride.

-----------------------------------------

I want to trade up or sell and upgrade.

Check on a new one, if there are low or no interest financing it may actuall be cheaper over the life of the loan to buy an brand new on, and enjoy the warranty as well ... DON'T let them conm you into an 'Extended Warranty Plan".

-----------------------------------------

Any help you all can give me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Your welcome.

head gasket issues are reported to be addressed some time in 2003, exact date unknown (publicly at least). if that concerns you at all, go with '04. if you think about purchasing a 2003 or earlier, check into the extended subaru warranty, i'm not sure what years it applies to but they warranty the head gasket for some year vehicles to 100,000 miles.

That is still an option, this car has just been a kind of bad omen from day one. I bought it at a dealership from a slimy salesman who knew what I didn't know. I joined this board because of the small problems that popped up within a month of purchase. Now I want to start off fresh, with a newer, low mile soob, one that I buy knowing all the facts first.

There seem to be more 03's for sale than 04's. That fact alone makes me think that people are getting rid of the 03's for a reason...

I have an "04" Outback Sedan - H6.

I enjoy the vehicle tremendously but have been somewhat disappointed in the amount of items I have had to have repaired or serviced, that in my opinion are not normal repairs.

Some items have been posted here, some were not.

My family has always been a Toyota family and I am somewhat spoiled with Toyota quality, but have always wanted a Subaru because of the AWD and styling/appeal.

I can say this though;

I DISAGREE with "msmiths" about the extended warranty.

I purchased the "Bumper to Bumper extended warranty"(cost $1500) but I am covered for 6yrs - 72,000 miles and I HAVE needed every bit of that extended coverage.

The amount of items that have been covered under the warranty has more than paid for itself. I know for a fact that the total costs of everything I have had repaired/replaced under warranty has exceeded $4000.

My cost; $50 deductible.

So the way I look at it, $1500 + $200 in deductibles = $1700 and I have saved about $2300 if not more, and I am still under warranty, for future issues.

Personally,

I wont buy a vehicle if I can't extend the "bumper to bumper" coverage.

From the posts I have read on this board, it is;

"pure financial suicide NOT to purchase the extended bumper to bumper coverage on a new/used Subaru".

Good Luck.

There seem to be more 03's for sale than 04's. That fact alone makes me think that people are getting rid of the 03's for a reason...

The '03s are coming off of 4 year leases. That, and people seem to like to replace cars every 4 years. Whenever I go car shopping, I find an abundance of 3 to 4 year old cars.

• 3 months later...

No upgrade, can't bring myself to settle for payments on a car that runs on gas, simply due to the ever rising price of fuel.

So, I've decided to stick with blubaroo and do the necessary repairs.

Besides, I like my outback. It's one of the originals.

Would you care to elaborate on your H-6 problems? Please?

I have an "04" Outback Sedan - H6.

I enjoy the vehicle tremendously but have been somewhat disappointed in the amount of items I have had to have repaired or serviced, that in my opinion are not normal repairs.

Some items have been posted here, some were not.

My family has always been a Toyota family and I am somewhat spoiled with Toyota quality, but have always wanted a Subaru because of the AWD and styling/appeal.

I can say this though;

I DISAGREE with "msmiths" about the extended warranty.

I purchased the "Bumper to Bumper extended warranty"(cost $1500) but I am covered for 6yrs - 72,000 miles and I HAVE needed every bit of that extended coverage.

The amount of items that have been covered under the warranty has more than paid for itself. I know for a fact that the total costs of everything I have had repaired/replaced under warranty has exceeded $4000.

My cost; $50 deductible.

So the way I look at it, $1500 + $200 in deductibles = $1700 and I have saved about $2300 if not more, and I am still under warranty, for future issues.

Personally,

I wont buy a vehicle if I can't extend the "bumper to bumper" coverage.

From the posts I have read on this board, it is;

"pure financial suicide NOT to purchase the extended bumper to bumper coverage on a new/used Subaru".

Good Luck.