Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trying to explain the change in my car

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hmm? there is nothing in the middle like in that photo. I looked at the clutch pedal and it seems to engage a spring with some levers attached to a cable the goes through the fire wall I think.

hrmmm.

Do you have a digital camera?

nipper

so I should get quotes and a credit card?

Not yet. Cable clutch is easy to adjust (at least on my car). There's a chance that if you loosen it a few mm, it will last few more months. But this huge airbox seems to be blocking the way, at least that's how it seems to me right now.

Not yet. Cable clutch is easy to adjust (at least on my car). There's a chance that if you loosen it a few mm, it will last few more months. But this huge airbox seems to be blocking the way, at least that's how it seems to me right now.

if it's cool I'll call right about 11 if I could get your opinion.?

Sadly the point is moot. he is already slipping in high gears and has failed the clutch test. Clutch adjustment would help with grinding while shifting.

nipper

I disagree. I think clutch grinds when cable is too loose, and pedal down does not disengage it completely. If the cable it too tight (because of clutch wearing down and thinning) it is always a little disengaged and might slip. If not taken care of quick - it will kill the clutch, but if loosened quickly - it might last for some time..

So I think there is a slight chance that loosening few nuts will help. Or at least will give him time to properly shop for clutch job.

I disagree. I think clutch grinds when cable is too loose, and pedal down does not disengage it completely. If the cable it too tight (because of clutch wearing down and thinning) it is always a little disengaged and might slip. If not taken care of quick - it will kill the clutch, but if loosened quickly - it might last for some time..

So I think there is a slight chance that loosening few nuts will help. Or at least will give him time to properly shop for clutch job.

I will have to go with nipper. Grinding is a good indication that a cable adjustment is called for but this one is slipping with the clutch pedal up - no tension on the cable. The clutch should be fully engaged at that point and no amount of cable cable adjustment will make engage better. It's shot and must be replaced.

Steve