Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trying to explain the change in my car

Clutch went out on my Loyale. Got to the point that just by hitting the gas too hard the clutch would slip. It wasn't too bad to replace. I could actually bend the old disk with my fingers it was so thin. New disk has been working fine. Definitly go for the kit if you are doing it yourself and make sure it comes with the pilot and throwout bearings.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

City: Minneapolis

State: Minnesota

Vehicles: 96' Legacy Brighton

Re: trying to explain the change in my car

Before you shell out $500 for clutch, make sure there's no easy fix. Check fluid in clutch cylinder, check that there is some freeplay of clutch pedal.>>what do you mean by free play?

check that there is some freeplay of clutch pedal.>>what do you mean by free play?

You should be able to push the pedal down at least a little ways before the hydraulic cylinders kick in to move the release fork. If you have no freeplay it could be that your clutch isn't having the full amount of force applied to it when you let off of the pedal. You should be able to tell when the master cylinder starts to pressurize the system when you push in the clutch pedal because there is more resistance.

where is the clutch cylinder? I just went to check. I have found the brake fluid reservoir. There is s small black cylinder between the brake fluid reservoir and the windshield washer fluid reservoir. however I don't know how to get it open. does the car have to be warm in order to accurately check it?

Folks, remember gritle has very little knowledge about cars, so please explain what you are saying.

Gritle at the milegae on your car, a worn clutch is not unreasonable.

http://www.edmunds.com/ownership/techcenter/articles/43837/article.html

will explain clutch free play.

The cap should just unscrew. The car does not have to be warm.

nipper

so I just drove around the block. there seems to be a bit of freeplay. However at a stoplight I let the clutch out completely and the car slowly moved forward. still no luck finding the clutch cylinder. I'm beginning to see a worse case scenario here.

any thoughts on how long an aging clutch can last? is cold weather much of a factor? will my car ultimately not move? what is the outlook?

Get some quotes and place that clutch. Eventually, and sooner than later, it will leave you standing on the side of the road.

Steve

a few more diagnostic questions....?

If when I down shift the car clearly seizes might that be an indication of low clutch fluid?

also

what I've identified as the clutch cylinder does not appear to be a screw off cap. it has two or three hoses going into it. should that be the case?

also I have not noticed any sort of smell. I can be in fifth gear at about 60 mph with a bit of acceleration and no changing gears I still get revving. <<just an observation.

that would be helpful as my car did not come with an owners manual.

I kind of got shafted when I bought this as they didn't tell me it was prior salvaged. I took it in for alignment shortly after buying it and was informed the sub frame was cracked. long story

that would be helpful as my car did not come with an owners manual.

I kind of got shafted when I bought this as they didn't tell me it was prior salvaged. I took it in for alignment shortly after buying it and was informed the sub frame was cracked. long story

if not email me at nipper.dawg@gmail .com and i can send you a few scans.

nipper