Ultimate Subaru Message Board

OH %#$%#$%#$% I just screwed up...

Take a drill and reverse it. See if you can back it out that way. Another option is drilling out the bolt and and hoping for the best with the threads. Not sure how big that bolt is, but you could try one off those easy outs for strip screw heads. you might be able the grab the broken bolt that way.

I was taking off my IAC to clean it and when I put it back to gether I tightened up one of my bolts just a little much and one of the bolts broke off. any suggestions.??

Left-hand drill bits and reversible drill; see:

http://www.madelectrical.com/workshop/broken-bolts.shtml

There's lots more info on the Web; do a Google search on "broken bolt removal" or "broken bolt extraction".

do not use an EZ out or bolt extractor, i don't know what they're intended for but they should be illegal, they are a POS. they break VERY easy. they're hard as balls but they're brittle and easily break. whats worse than a sheared off bolt? a sheared off bolt with an EZ out sheared off and stuck in it.

left handed drill bit or other bolt removal options are out there. you'll find more and better info with a google search like he just mentioned. drill it out, retap, use a larger bolt.....helicoil if you must....

do not use an EZ out or bolt extractor, i don't know what they're intended for but they should be illegal, they are a POS. they break VERY easy. they're hard as balls but they're brittle and easily break. whats worse than a sheared off bolt? a sheared off bolt with an EZ out sheared off and stuck in it.

I've used bolt/screw extractors with success, but I'm careful; If gentle turning by hand doesn't budge things, I stop. As suggested above, a broken-off hardened piece of steel will be much more difficult to remove than the original bolt. Careful drilling and chip removal usually does the trick.