Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I found a deal on some nokian nrw's for $19 each here. They only have one size: 185/55R15. My question is, would that be too small for my 97 impreza? (stock size 195/60r15) I've read that you can go smaller for winter tires, but how small is too small?

I found a deal on some nokian nrw's for $19 each here. They only have one size: 185/55R15. My question is, would that be too small for my 97 impreza? (stock size 195/60r15) I've read that you can go smaller for winter tires, but how small is too small?
It doesn't matter how small if all you can get is 185/55R-15. It should be just fine unless you have oversize wheels; 185's should fit fine on stock wheels.

you get what you pay for. I would think your winter tires should be stock size or 195/65/q15 (slightly narrower). this will help you cut through snow better but also provide an increase in pressure (lbs per sq inch) on the footprint. 185s might be okay but provide less protection for your rims-and of course your ground clearance is lower if only slightly. don't cheap out on winter tires-winter is the time when your tires are your best defense against the elements. good luck-jon

also, consider the size of your spare, could you get home without killing your tranny?