Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Going to pick up a free 84 Brat

Is there anything to look out for on a gen 2 Brat that I may need to know about. I know about rust in the rear shock towers but that is about it. The only Brats I have ever owned are all gen 1's. The only thing I know is that it does not run. The guy that has it has no idea why it does not run. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Is there anything to look out for on a gen 2 Brat that I may need to know about. I know about rust in the rear shock towers but that is about it. The only Brats I have ever owned are all gen 1's. The only thing I know is that it does not run. The guy that has it has no idea why it does not run. Any advice or information would be appreciated.

Uh, being that it's free.....I wouldn't really worry about *looking out* for anything. Rust and getting it home would be my only deterrents, but free makes up for those most of the time.

Actually it is a lot closer to you than it is to me. It is in the Santa Cruz area.

To be honest with you... i dont think it's worth the 2 hour drive.... just call the guy and tell him you dont want it.... (then give him my number so i can drive 10 hours to get it! ) haha

Ok here is a picture that the guy sent me of it. What do you think. It is about a 2 1/2 hour drive but I have driven further for Subies before.

free is a very good price for what it looks like... there couldn't be anything wrong with that to not make it worth it... unless you had to pay a tow-truck company to tow it 2.5 hours...

--Spiffy

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got it running today!:banana: Thanks to the 84 GL wagon I picked up yesterday. My first guess as to the problem was right. Bad starter. I took the one out of the wagon. I knew it still worked and put it in. It fired up on the second try. That was with 5 year old gas in it too! I went and put some fresh gas in to freshen up the little bit that was still in there. I get the impression that the fromer owner had siphoned out all the gas he could get. Anyway now onto replacing the muffler and fixing the 2 rust spots. I think I did pretty good on this one considering it was free!:clap:

There is a spot on the floor about 3 by 3 inches that I will cut out of the wagon to fix the Brat with. The area around the battery box is rusted out. The wagon is perfect. I will do the same to it. Cut it out and weld in the replacement piece. If I find time I will take some pictures tommorrow. Now all I need is some good seats for it.