Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Avoiding a wobbling crank pulley

I just bought a 93 legacy awd 5 speed. its a great low milage car but is coming up on a timing belt here soon. Im going to do the belt myself and I want to know what to do to not get the wobbling crank after doing it. from what i read it is caused by not tightening the crank pulley enough after removing the pulley to do a timing belt or other work.

What do i need to do to avoid it? Lock tight? tightening the crap out of it? what?

Also is it ok to tighten the crank pulley by putting the car in gear and then tightening. I have done this on other cars in the past and never had a problem, but i just want to make sure that will work on this.

What do i need to do to avoid it? Lock tight? tightening the crap out of it? what?

Also is it ok to tighten the crank pulley by putting the car in gear and then tightening. I have done this on other cars in the past and never had a problem, but i just want to make sure that will work on this.

Medium strength threadlocker and 125 ft-lb.

I've changed my timing belt a couple of times and put the car in 5th gear with the parking brake on, worked for me. (96 Impreza, 2.2)

You've got it right. Inspect the keyway and key to make sure there's no pre-existing wear. Have the e-brake on, chock the wheels, put the tranny in 5th gear and have someone push hard on the brake pedal while you torque it down.

I used blue Loctite and tightened to about 140 lbs. It's only been a month, but seems to be absolutely solid.

Good luck.

The big thing here is getting the torque correct. Go on the high end of the torque value. Make sure the keyway is clean, and the pully goes on evenly and all the way. Make sure threads are clean.

Loctite isnt really neccassary, but in this application its like chicken soup, it cant hurt.

nipper

Over-tightening the

bolt may cause the bolt to stretch

and/or break. Over-tightening may also

cause damage to the crankshaft snout.

There have been reports of crankshaft

snouts that have sheared off after

incorrect pulley bolt installation.

The above is from an End Wrench art.

Please note:

The FSM I have lists the torque for this bolt as

79 ft-lbs but