Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 EJ25 > 95EJ22 Success!

RallyKeith

So I finally bit the bullet and did the swap on my 96 GT. After dumping about $1200 into a combination of fixing one motor and swapping another EJ25 in that wound up having issues, I finally did what I should have done along time ago. Now I must first admit that I was planning on selling this car which was why I wanted to keep it original, but with everything going the way it is I've decided I could use this car around and drivable.

Anyhow, I was amazed at how easy the swap was. Power steering pump bracket and AC compressor brackets swap right over. Wiring and vaccum hoses were plug and play. The motor I got was mising the IAC valve for some reason, but that was a direct swap off of the EJ25. All in all I was very impressed. I fully expected to notice a difference in the power loss, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how little of a difference I feel. At 70mph on the highway there is an obviouse difference when you floor it, but during my normal daily drive (back roads never going more than 55) it was awesome!

I've only had two random things, and I think they are both normal.

#1 The first time I drove it, I found a big hill to test out the power of the engine. Now, this car is an automatic. I floored it through first gear and half of second gear, and then I left off the gas completely and the car stalled. I'm thinking this was just because the TCU and ECU hadn't learned the new engine fully yet.

#2 This morning I went to start the car for the first time. It started and ran up to 2,000 RPM. It slowly came down to about 1500 RPM over the next 2-3 seconds, and then abruptly stalled. I started it back up right away and never had another problem. Is it the same thing, the ECU just hasn't fully learned the new engine yet?

Thanks,

Keith

what ECU are you using? sounds like you're using the EJ22 heads and intake aswell as the shortblock. what MAF?

Everything is 95 EJ22 on the engine. 96 ECU and MAF, but the MAFs are identical between the years. It hasn't done any of these things since the first drive, so I'm not worried.

if it keeps doing the cold idle thing, it could be the IAC being miss-adjusted. but I'm not all that positive on which one it uses..

Well, it hasn't stalled other than that one time, and it was it's first time starting in the extreme cold. It was 51 degrees in the garage when I started it for the first time. This was only the second time I was starting it, and starting it cold.

The only thing is that it is idling at about 1200 rpm when warmed up and in neutral. And when it first starts and is cold it pops up to about 2200 RPM before dropping down somewhat to about 1500. I'm thinking that is just an adjustment of the throttle position set screw?

Keith

Everything is 95 EJ22 on the engine. 96 ECU and MAF, but the MAFs are identical between the years. It hasn't done any of these things since the first drive, so I'm not worried.

yea...but 2.2l vs 2.5l. you might find problems there. it'll probably be able to compensate for the different amount of air/fuel needed...but I'm not sure.

The only thing is that it is idling at about 1200 rpm when warmed up and in neutral. And when it first starts and is cold it pops up to about 2200 RPM before dropping down somewhat to about 1500. I'm thinking that is just an adjustment of the throttle position set screw?

Keith

Sounds like you might have a leaking vacuum hose somewhere, might check them all for cracks...also make sure all the hoses on the intake tube are hooked up well, and the PCV system.

Check all these before adjusting the TPSS...

And you could always throw a set of duel port EJ18 heads on it to bump the compression up some, and get it back to about the same HP as the old 2.5....but might need to run Preimeum fuel in it...

Sounds like you might have a leaking vacuum hose somewhere, might check them all for cracks...also make sure all the hoses on the intake tube are hooked up well, and the PCV system.

Check all these before adjusting the TPSS...

And you could always throw a set of duel port EJ18 heads on it to bump the compression up some, and get it back to about the same HP as the old 2.5....but might need to run Preimeum fuel in it...

Nope everything is good. No vaccum leaks or missed hoses. Just needed the idle screw turned out. For some reason it was turned all the way in. You could see where the previous owner of the motor had slightly mangled the slot in the set screw as iff they didn't loosen the nut before adjusting. Last night I backed the screw off and set the idle to about 750-800RPM at warm idle. When I started it this morning all was good. NO more worries.

As far as power goes... There really isn't a noticable difference.