Ultimate Subaru Message Board

interior parts and screw sizes

ok. so in my conquest to making a car pc i've decided i'm going to remove the ashtray and lighter to give myself another 'din' if you would. I need to know what the screw sizes are for the trim around the radio as well as the ashtray. i dont have most of the screws from previous times that i removed the trim. also....

if i want to wire something that requires 12v DC, can i simply splice a line from the lighter, or is it more complex than that? I've always wondered how one gets more power to components w/out outlets:rolleyes:

p.s. i figure instead of buying a new cupholder i'm going to core out the one i have, clean off the sticky residue, and turn it into a slot loading dvd-rom drive

ok. so in my conquest to making a car pc i've decided i'm going to remove the ashtray and lighter to give myself another 'din' if you would. I need to know what the screw sizes are for the trim around the radio as well as the ashtray. i dont have most of the screws from previous times that i removed the trim. also....

if i want to wire something that requires 12v DC, can i simply splice a line from the lighter, or is it more complex than that? I've always wondered how one gets more power to components w/out outlets:rolleyes:

p.s. i figure instead of buying a new cupholder i'm going to core out the one i have, clean off the sticky residue, and turn it into a slot loading dvd-rom drive

Youu can take it from the lighter, but i have a feeling you will need more power.

Go to https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

and email Jamie and tell her you want the accesorry power kit for a 1997 outback (normally would give you 2 more power outlets in place of the ashtray). The kit is 12.00 or there abouts. Whats great is that it is a factory kit, with a harness, fuses and relays. This can carry alot more power, straight from the battery, then the Cig lighter can. the relay is controled by the cig lighter circuit. you can just ditch the outlets. Its well worth the price.

nipper

cool cool, i dont necessarily need outlets as much as leads to tap into but that sounds like a great plan beings it has fuses and relays. a question about the battery. is there such thing as a 'better' battery? what would be the 'highest' bettery i could throw in a 95 legacy? i honestly don't know what would make a battery better than another , so don't laugh.

hey,

So I am about a week away from completing my car pc. It is a lot more difficult and timing consuming than you would think, or at least I thouht.

You are going to want a regulatged 12 supply. Stuff that comes from the cig lighter is unregulated (ie 9VDC -16VDC).

I guess it all depends how pretty you want it, what you want it to do and how much you want to spend.

check out www.mp3car.com for help. Awesome place.

Let me know if you need any other help or advice.

Good Luck.

oh yeah, totally the forums there are helpful until you ask a question and get :Flame: for not searching. the problem i have with searching is the terminology. i don't know how to word some of the things i want. believe me i know how to use search!

i'm probably gonna get these: http://cgi.ebay.com/M2-ATX-Car-PC-CarPC-Carputer-160W-DC-DC-Power-Supply_W0QQitemZ140072762980QQihZ004QQcategoryZ3670QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150087386626&fromMakeTrack=true

how are you running power to your pc? (when i ask that i mean, physically getting the wires back to where you have it housed)