Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, whats with springs 'settling'?

They will settle or seat themselves once you driv around the block. They shouldnt settle much, if at all.

nipper

Settling and breaking in are two different things. A quick jaunt should settle the springs, but depending on the type of springs, they may drop a bit further after broken in.

I've had a set of Sprint springs on one car that dropped an extra half inch over the course of 6 months, and a set of Eibachs on another that dropped a quarter inch in the same time period... after which, both sets of springs ended up at their final height.

I too can confirm springs settling. My Legacy didn't seem all that lower right after I put my WRX springs in, but a couple weeks later, I actually noticed a significant difference.

Did you get new struts too?

New struts can raise the car up slightly too, simply because they're new and capable of supporting more weight, thus taking some off the springs and causing the car to raise a bit. Struts too will settle.

The springs reduce squat, nosedive and roll. So far I have no complaints - sure, the ride is a little more 'sporty' but not as harsh as my old Datsun convertible - probably because it had very little suspension travel. The car definetly has less squat on take off and, although it may be just my imagination, I SEEM to able to get off the clutch a little faster with less 'oscillation' front to back.(I don't feel I'm a great driver anyway - but it seems to help a little) There is significant reduction in roll.

I aslo had stainless braided brakelines installed - They do not seem to make as significant a difference as anticipated and now I have a little buyer's remorse - glad I got the dealership to match the online price!

Going with Sube parts, I do not void my warranty either. Ryan at Teape Subaru really made an effort to get prices down (parts and labor rate) and even got me a loaner! I'd do everything the same except maybe not the s'less brakelines.

I may be able to get to 1 or 2 track events this year. I hope to someday get MY skills up to where the car deserves them to be! hah!

I love my car.

Carl

Yeah, I've been to the legacy central site. I quit going there because there's not much traffic there and people don't post much. There is some good info on there though, if you search.

Anyways, that's basically what I assumed all the spring/strut swaps were for.

I use my legacy for work and the occasional snowboarding trip. I plan on getting a diesel vw...probably a jetta but I'd like a 2002-2005 golf. I love my subaru but I don't really enjoy the mpg I get from it. I'm I'm VERY light on the gas and cruise at about 50 to work and back each day(2/3 highway the rest 30mpg LIGHT city)I can achieve 25 and a half mpg. But if I drive the way I like to drive, it's about 22 and a half. Which doesn't seem like much of a difference but adds up for almost 150 bucks a year.

Now if I was getting 45+ per gallon in a diesel golf, well I wouldn't care!

Thanks

Man that white-on-white looks good Lucky!

I agree with the drop amount. Enough to make the car look good and enhance the performance, but not so much that you have bumpsteer and have to worry about entering your driveway at an angle :rolleyes:

Thanx, it is a daily driver and just didn't want a 'rice' drop - even for the looks. But I've learned from setright and others about roll centers and bump steer too - so a severe drop was outta the question anyway.

Carl

It looks perfect to me :clap:

"Stance" as the late Russel Bulgin wrote is something all car nuts can spot a mile away, and dropping a car 50mm is not how to achieve it !

If I may, I'm going to borrow your pictures Texan? A fellow ImprezaClub member over here is looking to lower his 2.0R sedan and I'm urging him to get STI springs ;)

P.S. HOW are you keeping the rims so clean???

It looks perfect to me :clap:

"Stance" as the late Russel Bulgin wrote is something all car nuts can spot a mile away, and dropping a car 50mm is not how to achieve it !

If I may, I'm going to borrow your pictures Texan? A fellow ImprezaClub member over here is looking to lower his 2.0R sedan and I'm urging him to get STI springs ;)

P.S. HOW are you keeping the rims so clean???

no problem on the pics.

I still haven't managed to destroy the stock pads yet and the dust is medium/light grey from them(well, I suppose also colored by rotor 'dust'). Also, it helps if the pics are shot within a few days of a wash/wax!

Carl