Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how to make it D/R?

RdNkBrt

So I'm pretty convinced im going to buy a brat from Born_a_brat if i can get the price worked out and everything looks good when i go check it out.... its a single range 4speed. how do i make it have hi/low??? Just put a 5speed tranny in it??? I dont get it.... help me out here.....:dead:

I know this doesn't help, but it's good for clearing up some questions people have....

The dual range gearset is in the front of the gearbox before the input side gears (1st, 2nd, 3rd etc.)

In this picture you can see the "Lo" gears on the right, and the input side of the main gear set on the left. The diff goes in the hole at the top of the picture.

http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/ea82gearbox_centerdifflock_casingsplit_rightside.jpg

A "normal" 4WD has what we refer to as a t-case (transfer case) which sits at the back of the gearbox. A transfer case really only relates to a 4WD engager, not a low range gearset. So really our Subaru's are the same because they have a selectible t-case to engage 4WD at the back of the gearbox.

So to add D/R (dual range) you basiclly need to replace the gearbox.

As for your question, I take it you have a 81 gen 1 styled Brat. Like said before you either need a EA81 from a gen 2 style or EA82 and a D/R gearbox. Or do the bell housing swap. Which is just the back part of the negine that mounts it to the gearbox.

Not necessarily true. You can swap the ea81 bell housing onto the 1600 to mate a d/r to it. My buddy Jason (cryslr from the old USMB) did it in his gen one brat that he also lifted successfully in a weekend. search Hatch Patrol Meet Evans Creek circa WCSS4

down at the end, just past Mike W's red hatch.

HPSS1playtime.jpg

EA81 bellhousing on EA71? How'd that happen? I tried it once, won't line up the bolt holes. (But, I got an EA71 fat case bellhousing that came with my JDM EA71).

A D/R 5sp PT4WD (PT = Part Time, in other words engagable 4WD) you get FWD 5 gears plus reverse, obviously. You then can have 4WD 5 gears plus reverse. Then with the 1.59 to 1 ratio low range gear set engaged you get 4WD with 5 gears and reverse at a lower speed. As in 1st gear Lo is like having a 0.5 gear.. And you can use all gears in low range as well as high... Hope that's what you were wondering :-\

With a gen 2 Brat if it is already 4WD I think all you have to do to put the 4sp D/R 4WD trans in is change the 4WD selector lever with the D/R one. If you put the 5sp 4WD D/R in, you will have to fit the 5sp's 4WD selector lever, and gear lever, which I don't know what that needs, but I will be doing it in the next couple of weeks. Plus with the 5sp you need the 5sp's propshaft with requires mounting the center bearing and using the two piece shaft. But other then that the 5sp should bolt to your EA81 and the driveshafts(axles) should slide right on, unless you get a turbo model 5sp...

Confusing enough?

:grin: yeah, i think that was confusing enough, thanks!! :grin:

So now the question is... WHO WANTS TO HELP ME PUT IT IN!!!???!!!??? haha. this is one of those time i wish there were more soob people around here!! (ok, i wish that pretty much all of the time...)

:grin: yeah, i think that was confusing enough, thanks!! :grin:

So now the question is... WHO WANTS TO HELP ME PUT IT IN!!!???!!!??? haha. this is one of those time i wish there were more soob people around here!! (ok, i wish that pretty much all of the time...)

Not me.:lol: Swapping transmissions was the hardest thing I did to my Brat, I am not looking forward to doing it again when I get the new lifted Brat going.:-\

I recommend just getting the 4speed dual range tranny. Like the man said, if the car already has a 4wd single range transmission in it, the dual range will go right in its place. it's a pain sometimes to get them in (its the nature of transmissioins--in my experiences)

also, if you change out the tranny, you might want to change the clutch, or at least inspect it.

Not necessarily true. You can swap the ea81 bell housing onto the 1600 to mate a d/r to it. My buddy Jason (cryslr from the old USMB) did it in his gen one brat that he also lifted successfully in a weekend. search Hatch Patrol Meet Evans Creek circa WCSS4

down at the end, just past Mike W's red hatch.

Yeah - you need a side-starter EA71 bell-housing from a later 80's STD hatch. The EA81 bell-housing doesn't fit the EA71. Additionally, the EA71 flywheel is only capable of supporting the 200mm clutch, so you would either have to redrill the EA81 flyhweel, or just use the smaller 2WD clutch..... which really is like....:dead:.....for lifted rigs.

Jared (Rooinator) had this setup on his wagon for a while as well, but eventually moved to the EA81 for the greater power, and larger clutch.

I should have said it *can* be done, but the difficulty with finding the side-starter EA71 bell-housing, and the smaller clutch make it less than desireable. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

GD

i have not made it to chico yet unfortunatly..... I'm out of town for the weekend, but i'll probably try and swing by next week to take a peek. Mainly just to see another brat, since there's no way i can pull anywhere NEAR 5k for a car. do you take that old girl 4x4'in ever???