Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 Brat, (answered) top strut question (pic)

Additon: (mons72) is right, "how to keep your Subaru alive." shows a different orientation... now I'm lost...

I am leaning more to that book then the Chiltens & Haynes... but would like input...

Post#2: Gen. Dis. answered, original strut is marked on the top of strut mount (removed from car and remove crud covering stamp)... Haynes and Chiltons WRONG, "How too keep your subaru alive." RIGHT

1984 BRAT, 4x4, Non-Turbo, no-power steering.

Could someone please look under your hood or if you know the proper orientation for the Strut mount... existing strut vrs Haynes/Chiltons shows existing struts installed 180 Deg.wrong...:confused:

i.e. books show 4WD vehicles strut should be forward of center Unless Brats are unique to this position?

Here are some pics...

pic 1

Strut_position_2.JPG

pic 2 Chilton & Haynes show this:

Strut_position_1.JPG

HOLY CONFUSION.... THIS IS DIFFERENT THEN THE CHILTONS, HAYNES ETC..

strut_position_3.JPG

It will be written on the strut top itself.

GD

I looked... your right... on the original strut mount, next too the bolt covered in grease (must be removed from car to read)... Chiltons/Haynes are WRONG, "How too.... Subaru".. is RIGHT.

Thanks Gen. Dis.... you saved the day again.:cool:

However; the replacement parts do not have these same position markings... so the next person who removes these won't have that too go by...

Now... off my rump roast and back under the car.... I LOVE IT!