Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couple 1988 sub questions.

I have a 1988 gl wagon 4x4 has ea82 throtle body, parked it the other night was running fine, got in it the next day it started for a half min then started missing and died. Someone said maybe the timimg belt broke, so tore the front off and the belts are still in time and in good shape. When I try to star it, it sounds funny like no compression or the spark plugs are out. And I did try putting in new spark plugs and it still dose the same thing, could it possibly be a blode head gasket, shows no water in the oil. I have been smelling antifreez for the last couple days of driving it but can see none anywhere under the hood. Any clues what the problem might be? The car has 203000 miles on it but the motor has around 80,000 on it. This is the second motor for this car, I do still have the first one but I changed it because it would loose power after it got warmed up. So if I don't get this problem figured out I may have a gl wagon with two motors for sale. Also wondering if the motor out of a 1988 subaru wagon with a turbo on it will work in my gl wagon if I change the intake and parts off of my motor and put them on the turbo motor? Thanks for any help.

it sounds funny like no compression or the spark plugs are out.

I have been smelling antifreez for the last couple days of driving it but can see none anywhere under the hood.

Also wondering if the motor out of a 1988 subaru wagon with a turbo on it will work in my gl wagon if I change the intake and parts off of my motor and put them on the turbo motor?

With no spark / fuel / etc. it should sound even Rrr Rrr Rrr Rrr. If there is a funny pattern to the cranking, first thought is timing belt - since they aren't broken, check that one or the other didn't skip. Maybe a valve stuck / keeper let go?

Smell of antifreez - small leaks from the hoses - there are 6 coolant hoses - dripping or spraying onto the top of the engine. The heat evaporates it, so you don't see any evidence. Also, water pump seal.

I'm not a turbo expert - I beleive the block is the same but the heads are different. ECU & harness is different.

Jim, I did not see where you checked for

a good strong spark.

If it is weak or very small,

the problem could be the ignition amplifier.

This amplifier is a power transistor that is mounted on the

coil bracket directly under the coil.

Note: IT IS NOT an "ignitor" as some call it.

(An "ignitor" is located is some distributors

(not yours as it is a crank angle sensor type).

The big difference is

the ignitor sends signals to the ECU or ignition system,

where as

the amplifier amplifies the signal from the ECU -rant off)

The bracket must have a good ground as it functions

as one leg of the transistor.

A boneyard unit should be less than 25 George Washington

if it show weak or no spark.

Changed the ignition amplifier that wasn't the problem, so I did a compression check on all cylinders and came up with,#1-48lbs, #2-60lbs, #3-65lbs, and #4-20lbs, How could this thing be running good yesterday and try to start it couple hours later and the compression be that low? What is the least copression on this motor that it would run?

Hate to say it... sounds like:

1. Hole in piston - been using cheap gas? Pinging?

2. Cracked head - if you're smelling antifreeze, it might be coming through the exhaust, or your combustion gasses are pressurizing the coolant sytem to the point it pushed coolant out the cap.

3. Burned valve - have you blocked off the EGR? It could lead to a burned exhaust valve, which would significantly reduce compression and stop running in any meaningful way.

Either way, gotta pull the head on that side with bad compression.

Quote: "so I did a compression check on all cylinders and came up with,#1-48lbs, #2-60lbs, #3-65lbs, and #4-20lbs, How could this thing be running good yesterday and try to start it couple hours later and the compression be that low? What is the least copression on this motor that it would run?"

For your compression to be that low in all cylinders at once suddenly is strange. Almost like unbelievable strange. I think these motors need at least 80-100 pounds to run decent. How good is your Gauge? Are you using one of those hold-it in there gauges? They are notoriously bad, ussually cause they're of a cheap quality.

Skipped timing belts can certainly give you bad compression readings though. check those again and be sure they are lined up. With the middle of the 3 little timing lines on the flywheel lined up on the arrow, The marks on the camshaft pulleys should be one at top and one bottom alternatley.

You said you smelled coolant. Was it low? are you going through it? And are you getting dense grey, smelly(like antifreeze) smoke? If so you may have blown a head gasket, over heated your motor, or toasted valves, or any combination of the three. My gut tells me this isn't the likely case however.

As far as running issues. Have you checked for trouble codes. Things such as a Mass airflow sensor going bad can cause it to die. Check that the intake hose from airbox is not loose or broken.

Double check the timing, the spark, read the codes, oh... and listen for the fuel pump, could be the unaddressed issue here.

in order to use the turbo motor you mention, Not only would you need the Manifold from the your car but the heads as well. the single port manifold will not bolt to the turbo heads. And as mentioned the lower compresion pistons in the turbo block would leave you with maybe 50 hp.