Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Forester, keep or move-on?

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Forester that's about due for its 90k service. And before I put in the cash for the service, plus some extra for rear-brakes and new tires, and thus re-commit to the car for another couple years, should I consider trading it in for a newer subaru? What's been your experience with '00 Foresters once they get close to 100k and beyond?

I have 2.5 years left on my loan, and drive about 14k/year. By the time I've paid the car off, It'll have around 118k miles. What's the chance I'll get some service out of it past that point when I don't have a car payment?

Thank you!

Evan Leonard

You're joking, right? Treated properly these cars are pretty problem free for at least 150,000-200,00 miles. Once your car is paid off, you should still have six or seven years of reasonably dependable service.

Once you pay off the Forester, put the monthly "payments" you are no longer making into savings or investements. When you need a new Forester you should be able to pay cash for it.

You're joking, right?

Nope not joking. This is my first Subaru, so i'm looking to hear other experience. Actually this is the first car I bought for myself, so I'm being pretty cautious. The only things I've had wrong with it so far is the rattling heat-shields which i'm at the point of having them individually removed one-by-one as they start to rattle. I've had them "fixed" a half-dozen times, including at the dealer. Its good to hear your reaction though. I wasn't looking forward to the idea of getting a new car, just wanted to make sure I was making a sound choice before putting $400-800 into the car.

Oh also, in your experience how much should the 90k service cost? I got an estimate for about $400. Does that sound right?

Evan

Evan, I'm gonna hafta go ahead and be frank with you (insert annoying office space boss voice):

90k service is a fancy way to say fluid change. Dealers love this stuff. It's easy money for them.

Do yourself a favor, do the work yourself - it is not rocket science here. This is largely why this forum and others like it exist, regular dudes are tired of grabbing their ankles for minor maint issues.

Get a service manual, a socket set and a sixer of your favorite brew. Then spend $400 on something useful.

We are here 24/7 to assist.

Ryan

ps - we can fix a rattle for free

You gotta be kidding me right. My mom has a 98 legacy with 170k, and the only thing even done to the engine, major anyway, has been the timing belts and front main seal. Routine maintanence and away you go. That forrester hasn't even seen its halfway mark yet.

Somewhere around my area is our old 90 legacy sedan. Its getting close to the 400k mark best i recall.

Hi All,

I have a 2000 Forester that's about due for its 90k service. And before I put in the cash for the service, plus some extra for rear-brakes and new tires, and thus re-commit to the car for another couple years, should I consider trading it in for a newer subaru? What's been your experience with '00 Foresters once they get close to 100k and beyond?

I have 2.5 years left on my loan, and drive about 14k/year. By the time I've paid the car off, It'll have around 118k miles. What's the chance I'll get some service out of it past that point when I don't have a car payment?

Thank you!

Evan Leonard

I'm about to be in the same boat as you. Not sure about the replies to this thread. I've read a lot of posts in this forum about some major problems with these cars. From cruising this site I sure dont feel confident my 02 Forester is going to last past 120k without a major unexpected problem. I mean, do I need say any more than the word "headgasket" or "torque bind"? Seems like a pretty common problem. Unless you start doing the work yourself, I think the car will become a money pit. The price of parts alone are highway robbery IMHO, and I'm used to Hondas that are driven past the 200,000mi mark. :burnout:

Just did the 90K service for a 96 Impreza at the dealer. $471! but it is more than a fluid change. Add plugs and a few other bits. A very good car wash and they troubleshooted a few rattles and bolted them down too. Still not worth that price if you have the time to do it all yourself. I do not and have lots of OT to work to pay the dealer.

The 2000 Forester is probably pretty solid being the third year of the first model. I had a 2001 (2nd model) and had some brake issues that are uncharacteristic for young Subarus. Unless you need something a lot bigger (my reason for trading my Forester in), it makes no sense to get a newer Subaru based on economic reasons.

Whoa. 90,000. I should be so lucky as to have a subaru with only 90,000 miles. Invest your money in the car wisely. Throwing money at your car is a bad choice. I have a 1988 wagon with 230,000 miles that has never had the head gaskets replaced, only gone through one clutch, and starts quickly every time no mater how cold it is outside.

It is however done for at this point, the little car was driven very hard without much work done to it and after riding around in my recently aquired 2000 outback I just can't stand driving the old soob anymore. I guess my point is , you have many more miles left on your forester (in theory). So maybe it only makes it to 230,000 miles like my loyal before you need to upgrade:headbang:

A 2000 with 90K miles, and you want to move up? Why? Most cars, not just Subarus, can go well past 150K if serviced and given the minimum of care. Here's the miles on some of my vehicles:

'92 Sentra SE-R, 135,000

'94 Dodge Caravan (before we traded it in), 178,000 miles

'87 BMW, 185,000 miles (odo broke, so hard to say for sure)

'02 Outback, 88,000 miles

'94 Caddy, 108,000 miles

At, 90,000 miles, your Forester is just getting broke in. Put the money into the 90,000 mile service, and you'll have a car ready to provide you years more of driving.

Well I had a 1995 Subaru Impreza with 407,000kms on it before it met it's sudden death into the side of a bus (oooppppsss...) Before the bus incident it was starting to have problems about a month before, but still nothing engine related (water pump leaking, gas tank leaking etc). I now have a 2001forester, bought it with 190,000kms (not even broken in yet) I have put on about 6,000kms since and other than just finding oil in the spark plug hole thingy (thats as technical as I get) which I have been advised from some great people here that is is just a gasket I have not had any problems...

I guess we got the "lemon."

Female adult driven 2000 Forester bought new. Dealer serviced at the recommended major intervals. Lost a couple of rear wheel bearings before 60,000 miles-Warranty replacements. Automatic tranny went out at 99,000 (hesitated when put into gear)--$3K repair and 1 week downtime. (Subaru wanted $4k to replace it with a factory rebuilt one.) At 125,000 the driver's side head gasket went and antifreeze started mixing with the antifreeze and was dripping on the ground. Car had not been overheated. Did the repairs, replaced the water pump, timing belt and a reseal myself--$400 in parts and 1 week down time. Other repairs have been less hurtful, a CV shaft comes to mind.

I must say though that even at 130,000 miles, the car still runs strong and otherwise appears to be reliable. Hoping to get another couple of years out of it. . . . .

you did get two of the big possible problems Dennis. Most of the rest are really service items. The wheel bearings do suffer back there don't they?

I'm on the originals here in CA but no frost and better roads.

You should be in the same boat as I am, I reckon all the mileage I get now is practically free and is saving me the car payments as well as tax and insurance are cheaper.

I've owned an MG, Chevy Impala, Toyota Celica, Honda Accord, '98 Forester, and now 2000 Forester. The Subies are by far the best all-around vehicles I've ever owned next to the Chevy. (Talking about a '70 Impala which ran forever). I say keep the Forester and run it into the ground!

Hi All,

Thank you!

Evan Leonard

Noody likes to pay for repairs, and let's be honest, as cars age, the likelihood of paying for repairs increases. But that said, how do you like paying for depreciation and interest? Without knowing your specifics, I'm going to make up #'s

00 Forester- worth $6000 today. In 3 yrs, let's say it's worth $3000 so depreciation is $3k.

you said you had a loan, so you'll be paying about $500 in interest over the next 2.5 years.

Repairs- lets say you have a lemon and spend $1000/yr- so $3k

So in 3 yrs, you'll spend $6500

Now lets say you trade in and buy that "prized" late model forester- let's say an '04- costs $14k. In 3 yrs, it may be worth $8k. so depreciation is $6k.

Interest in the loan will be about $1500, and let's just say repairs are $0.

So your total is $7500 for the newer car.

Keep in mind, I was "generous" with your newer car, (good depreciation and low interest loan, and no repairs). Now imagine how the scales tip if you have an "unexpected" repair on the newer car and actually have no or fewer repairs on your current car. also keep in mind that if you extend this model out another 3 years, the #'s look worse for the newer car since there's more depreciation and interest.

By trading in your car now, I think you're missing the forest(er) for a few trees.

Pardon me for :horse: especially since I didn't read through all the posts throughly, but I have to agree that 90k aint sheeot. And as far as the "X-Mileage maintenance interval"... gimmie a break.

I just picked up a 2000 OBW from someone who had a religious maintenance regeme. I started looking through the service reciepts and there's one from the dealer for the "60,000mi service interval". All they did was change the spark plugs and wires, drain and refill all the fluids; all for over $1000!!!!! WTH!?!?! And when I say fluids I mean, yeah the oil obviously, but they charged for coolant (which isn't a bad thing) and windshield washer and power steering fluid :lol:.

So keep this thing, when it's time throw a timing belt at it, you'll be right there like you would with any other cars "major maintenance" interval. When it's time to throw another timing belt at it, then think about buying a new car.

...soobs aren't built to be desposable like Kia's are!

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa. 90,000. I should be so lucky as to have a subaru with only 90,000 miles. Invest your money in the car wisely. Throwing money at your car is a bad choice. I have a 1988 wagon with 230,000 miles that has never had the head gaskets replaced, only gone through one clutch, and starts quickly every time no mater how cold it is outside.

It is however done for at this point, the little car was driven very hard without much work done to it and after riding around in my recently aquired 2000 outback I just can't stand driving the old soob anymore. I guess my point is , you have many more miles left on your forester (in theory). So maybe it only makes it to 230,000 miles like my loyal before you need to upgrade:headbang:

Here is interesting info about a lot of "unlucky" subaru owners:

http://home.comcast.net/~skipnospam/guestlog.html

Kinda makes me want to sell it now.