Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SPFI swap in progress!

SuperNova

Well here's a bump and an update. everything is in but the disty due to a lack of disty gear that we are waiting on number 3 special long distance order. here is the next issue everything is wired but we have no feul pump signal. I have made sure that we have voltage and conectivity to ground through the ECU harness and there is nothing at the CEL signal wire either.....Is the ECU bad? how ealse do you check such a situation?

Yeah that we get and nither one is grounding, but the ground leads are good. If you hook a test light or voltmeter to bat 12v and then to thoose leads you get nothing. Am I missing a ground or power somewhere? Can't see that, every wire coming off the ECU can be traced to something........there goes another clump of hair....

The fuel pump only cycles every 5 seconds if the green test connectors are connected, and the CEL should illuminate when the ignition is in run without the engine running - that's just the bulb check though. It could be that you don't have all the proper 12v supplies to the ECU. There's several switched supplies, and a constant supply. There's also several grounds for it - go through the ground and 12v supply troubleshootings in the FSM fragment.

GD

Yeah and a mention of hooking the switched supply from the reciving cars ingnition switched on circuit to the red and blue lead after the diode inline with the green and white(self shut off) lead coming from the relay on the SPFI harness could have saved us and will hopefully save others. will post pictures and possible video diagrams and explinations. USMB has been a wealth of information but more points of view allways make for an easier to read more complete puzzle.

You know If I get a EA81 car that runs good I dont think I will EJ it,More like EA81 SPFI+ MPFI Pistons.Maybe rig that on up with a transfer case...

More power or better gears

I don't know, Carbs and crimp connectors can kiss my rear,all my vehicles from now on will be FI.Carbs just arn't worth it,because I wheel on moutains and have almost rolled twice because of the carb dieing,on would have been 2 barrel rolls then fall into 400ft ravine,Another one would have endoed backwards down a hill.Thankfully I kep the car on the wheel bet sudden weight transfer while precarios manuovers are being done is something to be avoided...

IT'S ALIVE!!!! God I wish we had the right clutch cable. Pics updates and information about what we encountered to follow. Supernova has made his first Frankenstien. :banana:

HOLY CRAP MY WIFE JUST SET IT ABLAZE BECAUSE OF THE FAN!!! :Flame:

So, it took awhile but its just about done. We finally got to run it. Everything went awesome! It fired right up on the FIRST try with no hesitation. Now all thats left is the new clutch cable and i couple small vacuum lines and its good to go. This is what it looks like as of right now:

Engine.jpg

Looks like it was supposed to be there.:headbang:

So, it took awhile but its just about done. We finally got to run it. Everything went awesome! It fired right up on the FIRST try with no hesitation. Now all thats left is the new clutch cable and i couple small vacuum lines and its good to go. This is what it looks like as of right now:

Engine.jpg

Looks like it was supposed to be there.:headbang:

It was supposed to be there, The guys at Subaru just forgot to do it....

Congrats man.

the ECU. . There's also several grounds for it -

GD

According to my own tracing of the wiring, all grounds to the ECU are through the manifold harness. There's a wire on the manifold harness that goes under one of the manifold bolts. So it gets ground from the manifold... Trace the wires back to the intermediate connector (the big one)... then back to the ECU. ECU is getting ground from the manifold.

Rich

According to my own tracing of the wiring, all grounds to the ECU are through the manifold harness. There's a wire on the manifold harness that goes under one of the manifold bolts. So it gets ground from the manifold... Trace the wires back to the intermediate connector (the big one)... then back to the ECU. ECU is getting ground from the manifold.

Rich

All years are not the same.

GD

So going to try here before I start a new thread. So I need Lymans version of pulling the codes and clearing codes on the 90' SPFI System. I have a green and white test connecters connected to themselves. The ECU Red Light is flashing 5 times same time and speed for each flash..........any help please?????

So going to try here before I start a new thread. So I need Lymans version of pulling the codes and clearing codes on the 90' SPFI System. I have a green and white test connecters connected to themselves. The ECU Red Light is flashing 5 times same time and speed for each flash..........any help please?????

FSM tells you how to get to modes (with test connectors)

1)Usercheck

2)Dealercheck

FSM also has list of error codes. and an explanation of how the light

flashes relate to which error is being indicated.

5 flashes indicates "specification code", letting you know what kind of vehicle you have.

the search link (below the Ultimate Subaru Message Board logo) is your friend. So is google.

Rich