Ultimate Subaru Message Board

alright i went on some trails today with the legacy and coming home i have this nasty sound coming from the rear end area. When i accelerate forward the sound goes away, but when i let off the gas there is this nasty grinding sound, its hard to explain. on the highway you cant hear it only when you let off the gas in the lower gears :confused:

alright i went on some trails today with the legacy and coming home i have this nasty sound coming from the rear end area. When i accelerate forward the sound goes away, but when i let off the gas there is this nasty grinding sound, its hard to explain. on the highway you cant hear it only when you let off the gas in the lower gears :confused:

What year Leagcy? What tranny/motor configuration? More info will help. It might be a rear axle going south. It might be a muffler rattle having been ripped loose while off-roading....

What year Leagcy? What tranny/motor configuration? More info will help. It might be a rear axle going south. It might be a muffler rattle having been ripped loose while off-roading....

91 legacy wagon AWD 5sp. the muffler is intact, no noise at all when the car is on the highway.

for example, i take off in first gear and rev the motor to 4k then let off the gas, that compression is when i start to hear the grinding type noise. if i put my foot back on the gas it goes away. :-\

91 legacy wagon AWD 5sp. the muffler is intact, no noise at all when the car is on the highway.

for example, i take off in first gear and rev the motor to 4k then let off the gas, that compression is when i start to hear the grinding type noise. if i put my foot back on the gas it goes away. :-\

Heat sheild. They can drive you nurs, and are very specific when they will happen.

nipper

its not coming from that end of the car.. its out back. and it dosn't sound like a heat sheild.

There are heat sheilds everywhere, just usually the rear ones arent a problem since they are ont the body and not the pipes. Can maybe be a backing plate too.

nipper

Highly unlikely, but it could be the rear diff. I was out "rotating" the tires one night, and I blew the rear diff. It would work pretty well under load from the engine, couple of skips here and there, but it would make god awful noises when I coasted. I drove it home with the E-brake on so it staid loaded. Worked untill the last hill, accidently coasted, crunch the diff was gone.

Highly unlikely, but it could be the rear diff. I was out "rotating" the tires one night, and I blew the rear diff. It would work pretty well under load from the engine, couple of skips here and there, but it would make god awful noises when I coasted. I drove it home with the E-brake on so it staid loaded. Worked untill the last hill, accidently coasted, crunch the diff was gone.

hummm. strange.. how would one go about finding if that is the problem. ive beat on it alot before that... and really didn't drive the car hard. i made one big climb up a dirt hill but didn't spin the tires too much. :confused: if thats the problem im glad these cars are everyware.

I checked the rear diff oil, its old so i replaced it, checked the back brakes there fine. a few ideas i have are the rear axles, or axle. or the bushings holding the rear end to the car. Im totaly stumped, and i don't beleve anyone will really beable to help unless there in the car listening. :( i guess i'll let it go till it gets real bad, i just hope i can figure out the problem before i drive to Wistler to go skiing in a month

problem solved!!!!

so i discovered my problem.

IMG_7375-1.jpg?t=1173557820

this rock made all the vibrations resonate through the car. i removed the rocks and the sound was gone. :banana: every time i put my foot on the gas the tourqe would lift that rubber mount up and when i let off the gas it was coming down on the rock and the rubber was un able to absorb the vibrations. :clap:

problem solved!!!!

so i discovered my problem... :clap:

I'm glad you figured it out, this is close to what my car has been doing, ever since I jacked it up by that bushing one day. Blew out the bushing. Doh!