Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How much should it cost for a set of struts?

That seems pretty steep to me. They must be getting you on the strut price AND the install price. I've seen NIB sets of KYB struts all over ebay for ~$250 (yes the whole set of 4). Also I believe http://www.tirerack.com has the KYBs for under $100 each.

See if you can get a breakdown of the strut price and labour price estimates. I know I was looking into stuffing Outback struts under my 94 wagon and I found that Napa and Carquest had STUPID prices for struts: as high as $250 EACH. Nearly dealer-stupid prices. If the shop is getting struts from a supplier with prices like that it would be easy for the price to hit near $1000 for the whole job.

Sounds high to me. Four hours labor at the going shop rate plus a reasonable cost for the parts should be around $700; $75/hr.= $300 labor plus $100 (or less) per strut=$400.

You forgot about sales tax ;-).

I got a full set of new KYB GR-2's for $200 from a Subaru guy online. I decided to install them myself and it took me ~3 hours. Took it down to Les Schwab for an alignment and other minor things they found for ~$120. I initially was just going to try and get a shop to install the KYB's but most wouldn't. Those that would, were quoting me an additional $550-700.

Our local Meineke is willing to install my parts for $455 which includes an alignment. I can get these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-GR2-STRUTS-SHOCKS-SUBARU-LEGACY-OUTBACK-95-99_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33590QQitemZ160094137214 for $285 shipped. The ebay listing says "excluding air suspension". What does that mean? How do I know if I have that? Can they be had for cheaper than that? Has anyone dealt with this ebayer with success?

Thanks