Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine won't turn over. Electrical problem?

96 Outback, manual transmission, 140k miles

I turn the key and it clicks. It will always start after 5 or 10 trys. Battery is about 3 months old. Lights don't dim or anything like that.

I made sure connections are tight and clean.

Is my starter starting to go or could it be something else?

Lights don't dim or anything like that.

I made sure connections are tight and clean.

Is my starter starting to go or could it be something else?

I doubt it's your starter. Most likely the clutch safety switch. When you say that it starts after a few tries, it acts just like my Olds when the neutral safety switch was going out. Next time it won't start, try pumping the clutch a time or two. I'm betting it'll fire right up.

I doubt it's your starter. Most likely the clutch safety switch. When you say that it starts after a few tries, it acts just like my Olds when the neutral safety switch was going out. Next time it won't start, try pumping the clutch a time or two. I'm betting it'll fire right up.

Sometimes I keep on the clutch and turn the key and other times I keep the key turned and pump the clutch.

Is the clutch switch the same one used to kill the cruise controll when the clutch is pushed down?

The clutch switch is ground for the starter relay. So when that switch does'nt work neither the starter relay nor the starter solenoid will be activated = no click. So if you hear a click, it's not the clutch switch. If it clicks under the dash and under the hood, it's the starter solenoid, if it cliks only under the dash, it's probably the starter relay. Chances are it's the starter solenoid.

FWIW.