Ultimate Subaru Message Board

86 GL-10 Turbo FWD questions!

Ok, so the goodwill next to my place sells cars. They have a 1986 GL-10 Turbo sitting out for $1600. I just test drove it (around the parking lot *stupid oregon law*) and found some odd things. When you give it gas you can hear water gurgling but when you're up in front of the car you can't hear it. Is the sound coming from the Heater core?? Is that extremely hard to replace? It also seems that someone put some kind of additive like stop-leak or something in the radiator, any comments? It has 150k miles on it. Sounds great and seems to run pretty well.. The price is going down to $1200 next week if it doesn't sell by then. Is that even a reasonable price or should I try to get them a little lower? Its fully loaded, sun roof, digital dash, a/c, all of that stuff.

I'm trying to get rid of my honda ASAP and get into the subaru family :) I loooove the sound of the boxer engine. My friend just bought a 2007 Legacy GT Spec B and I'm in love with it. Is this a good car for me? Will it probably last a long time if I do some preventive stuff like replace the radiator/heater core and stuff?

I hate the fact that its an auto, although it does feel pretty peppy!

Any advice?

...I'm trying to get rid of my honda ASAP and get into the subaru family :) I loooove the sound of the boxer engine. ... I hate the fact that its an auto...

Welcome! :)

Well... that car is a Great Car, but Also I hate Auto Trannys... Maybe you can get Lower Price. Also the Gurglin´ Noise that you Hear can be made by Other Things, not Only Water... Maybe the Heather...

So, I suggest you to Drive it More... Test it, so you can Check if it has Higher Temps on the Engine... that can Lead to a Bad Head Gaskets...

Could you post here Pics?

Good Luck! :burnout:

Ok, so the goodwill next to my place sells cars. They have a 1986 GL-10 Turbo sitting out for $1600. I just test drove it (around the parking lot *stupid oregon law*) and found some odd things. When you give it gas you can hear water gurgling but when you're up in front of the car you can't hear it. Is the sound coming from the Heater core?? Is that extremely hard to replace? It also seems that someone put some kind of additive like stop-leak or something in the radiator, any comments? It has 150k miles on it. Sounds great and seems to run pretty well.. The price is going down to $1200 next week if it doesn't sell by then. Is that even a reasonable price or should I try to get them a little lower? Its fully loaded, sun roof, digital dash, a/c, all of that stuff.

I'm trying to get rid of my honda ASAP and get into the subaru family :) I loooove the sound of the boxer engine. My friend just bought a 2007 Legacy GT Spec B and I'm in love with it. Is this a good car for me? Will it probably last a long time if I do some preventive stuff like replace the radiator/heater core and stuff?

I hate the fact that its an auto, although it does feel pretty peppy!

Any advice?

water gurgle + stopleak indicates a history of cooling issues. EA82T + cooling issues = high potential for problems

You really need to be able drive it - at speed - for a little while.

Oregon law no longer allows for test driving of cars?

water gurgle + stopleak indicates a history of cooling issues. EA82T + cooling issues = high potential for problems

You really need to be able drive it - at speed - for a little while.

Oregon law no longer allows for test driving of cars?

Not when they aren't licensed to be on the road. Hence it being at Goodwill.

My friend said his mom's '85 wagon made the same sounds for years o_o

For a car with a mysterious past (why was it donated in the first place?) that sounds like way too high of a price, considering that you're in the most Subaru-rich region in the country. That wouldn't be a bad price for one that you knew was in top-notch condition, but I agree about the potential for problems with the turbo and the suspect cooling system. I'd keep looking for either a less expensive option with known problems you are willing to fix, or something similarly priced that is in better shape.

Not when they aren't licensed to be on the road. Hence it being at Goodwill.

That might have been useful information in the first post. Having never looked at goodwill for cars (or ever seen one for sale at goodwill), there's no way I would have known that. You simply stated 'stupid oregon law' as though everyone should know all the details.

My friend said his mom's '85 wagon made the same sounds for years o_o

Was it a turbo wagon? I'm going to guess that your experience with EA82 cars is probably limited, or you wouldn't be here asking if this is a good deal.

EA82Ts need to be kept cool. The condition you described indicates that its possible that may not be the case. Without being able to really investigate (Read: test drive), You may be paying 1200 for a $300 car.

Your choice. Personally, I like to spend money on stuff that works. I'm funny like that though.

Oh - almost forgot - welcome to the board. There is a wealth of information here for those that take the time to listen.:)

1600 is WAY too much, im having a hard enough time having people just call me on mine for 1100$ lol and they havent even seen it, its in party line/paper. Well did u let it hit operating temprature? did it rise higher than the middle? how do u know it had stop leak? u sure its not oil from possible head gaskets? The main thing i would be worried about is head gaskets! If ur sure no headgaskets, a new 100$ radiator and it would be great, what kinda conditions the body in?

OH and the gurgling, my RX did that for awhile, just drive it around abit and it will work the air out of the heater core, alls that is, is trapped air bubbles.

Ok, well, I'll just steer clear. I guess i can wait for a nicer one to roll on over to me... I'm really looking for a turbo car though o_o. I'm coming from a long line of rotary cars... my expectations are kinda high I think.. I just miss my RX-7 horribly.

You will be heavily dispointed with the EA82T - it is both unreliable and underpowered (115 HP). If you are looking for a turbo find an early 90's EJ22T.

If you are looking for a good 80's subaru, find an 88 or 89 4WD 5 speed non-turbo.

GD

You will be heavily dispointed with the EA82T - it is both unreliable and underpowered (115 HP).

Underpowered? yes.

Unreliable? Only if you suck at maintenance. (Or life in general). :-p

- Or if you mod the hell out of it for the sake of pushing it until it explodes - Not that I would know anything about that..

You will be heavily dispointed with the EA82T - it is both unreliable and underpowered (115 HP). If you are looking for a turbo find an early 90's EJ22T.

If you are looking for a good 80's subaru, find an 88 or 89 4WD 5 speed non-turbo.

GD

Common now, don't be TOO harsh to the EA82t. I have put lot's and lot's(re:30,000 or more) miles on mine and it has been good to me. The problem is with old ones that have been neglected. If you get one and go through the whole thing right away. Like ALL cooolant hoses, new t-stat, new belts, vac hoses(often overlooked) and check the condition of Oil pump and water pump, flush radiator and heater core, you are far less likely to have problems. I have owned a total of 7 older soobs. The Turbos to me don't seem that much more problematic. Just harder to get good parts for or repair info.

I've had 3 headgaskets go on NA engines and only one on a turbo. The 89 gl turbo I drive now has 232,000 miles on original motor.(one HG change)

If you don't want to work on you're car much, don't buy any old soob. That all said I agree that the price is too high. Should be more like $300-500 tops. Wait! 2wd? then $100-200

Common now, don't be TOO harsh to the EA82t. I have put lot's and lot's(re:30,000 or more) miles on mine and it has been good to me. The problem is with old ones that have been neglected. If you get one and go through the whole thing right away. Like ALL cooolant hoses, new t-stat, new belts, vac hoses(often overlooked) and check the condition of Oil pump and water pump, flush radiator and heater core, you are far less likely to have problems. I have owned a total of 7 older soobs. The Turbos to me don't seem that much more problematic. Just harder to get good parts for or repair info.

I've had 3 headgaskets go on NA engines and only one on a turbo. The 89 gl turbo I drive now has 232,000 miles on original motor.(one HG change)

If you don't want to work on you're car much, don't buy any old soob. That all said I agree that the price is too high. Should be more like $300-500 tops. Wait! 2wd? then $100-200

Yeah, considering I've built motors before, working on my car isn't a big problem. But I'd like to start out with one that doesn't need a whole lot of work. Aren't the EJ22T cars kinda expensive?

please define a "whole lot."

The vehicle you are looking at is NOT an awful choice.. BUT the signs indicate a high chance of cooling system "issues," which VERY OFTEN lead to blown headgaskets on ANY ea82 powered car. The rule of thumb is, all it takes to blow a HG on an ea-82 is 100,000 miles, and one bad (reasonably bad) overheat.

IF you are willing to

A Flush the radiator

B be willing to REPLACE the radiator if needs be

C replace the headgaskets

and

D go ahead and do the timing belts, water pump, and oil seals

more or less right away, then there is NO ticking time bomb awaiting you... BUT don't plan on boosting the crap out of it. If 4WD is not "needed" on this vehicle, then 2wd isn't awful.. plus it frees up some power and fuel mileage because you arent spinning the rear driveline, ever...

However, over $1,000 is a bit much to be asking for. If I were you, I would print out this thread, and bring it in there, say, "look, these cars blow headgaskets, and this one probably has.. give it to me for $500."

If they take it, take it and run. You were already contemplating dropping over a thousand for it, so drop 500, some time, and some $$ for parts. Just keep that engine cooled and you should be OK.

as for tuning this beast, without spending money on power AND MORE on reliability, you will just blow the headgaskets sooner... to build an ea82T "right" is to throw money into a blacker hole than most cars are... the better route to real power is to swap in an EJ motor (even NA its stronger than the ea-82T)

No - try $50 or less - it's 2WD and an AUTO.

EJ22T cars usually go for $2500 or less these days. They are nearly 15 years old after all. I almost bought one with a bad AWD Automatic for $600 not long ago. Would have been a pretty simple swap to manual.

GD

No - try $50 or less - it's 2WD and an AUTO.

EJ22T cars usually go for $2500 or less these days. They are nearly 15 years old after all. I almost bought one with a bad AWD Automatic for $600 not long ago. Would have been a pretty simple swap to manual.

GD

I feel offering less than $100 bucks for a car you can drive away is a little cheap. Just because we all love AWD and manual shifting does not mean everyone needs that. some people just need a car. Not the Ultimate Subaru.

I feel offering less than $100 bucks for a car you can drive away is a little cheap. Just because we all love AWD and manual shifting does not mean everyone needs that. some people just need a car. Not the Ultimate Subaru.

No one *needs* an early EA82 Turbo FWD 3AT Auto sedan. That's like saying some people need another hole in their head. That car is a recipe for failure and bad Subaru experiences. It is literally EVERYTHING that was bad about Subaru in the 80's. I can see no redeeming qualities - it's not even a wagon or 3-door. The sedan body is ugly, and useless besides the craptacular drivetrain that poor savage beast was born with.

GD

No one *needs* an early EA82 Turbo FWD 3AT Auto sedan. That's like saying some people need another hole in their head. That car is a recipe for failure and bad Subaru experiences. It is literally EVERYTHING that was bad about Subaru in the 80's. I can see no redeeming qualities - it's not even a wagon or 3-door. The sedan body is ugly, and useless besides the craptacular drivetrain that poor savage beast was born with.

GD

I have learned, GD, that you are one to be believed when it comes to factual matters regarding subaru. You are however quite frequently prone to the "my way or no way" view of thing of a subjective matter. Like the case here. The engine in this car is excactly the same as any 86 XT, RX or GL-10 Turbo? Are you saying they are all worthless? Recipes for disaster? Many of us here love our Turbo cars. Your're opinion of the sedan styling is you're own and irrelivant to a person that cars about transportation, not their ego. Note I did not suggest the OP buy this car for the rice asked. I just said if it drives off the lot it is worth $100. It's not the one you would want so you slam it as worthless. Hell, a running ea82t motor is worth $100 for the parts.

I'm actually with GD here. The EA82T is a great motor, if well cared for. The fact that it sounds like there was or is cooling issues makes it suddenly a large problem. Also, the 2WD is not very desirable (though, it can be put up with). The final straw is the 3AT... its a piece of crap. Gearing sucks, gas mileage sucks, reliability sucks, they just plain suck.

With where you live, you should be able to easily find a better deal on a Subaru then that.

Hey now, i LIKE sedans, thats the main reason i bought this one, was it wasnt a wagon (bleh) or a 3 door (i like some space for friends to get in) Im not sure how i feel about the Turbo really, its sad my little 88 Mazda 323 1.6 N/A Sedan was about as fast as this Turbo 1.8, lol. I might have gotten a bad egg, who knows, its been a pain in my rump roast since i got it, but i got it for a 100$, lol, and have put 5-600 into it. if no one buys it i may get new seats, new heads, and a heater core and drive it.

GD

True, but....

I have learned, GD, that you are one to be believed when it comes to factual matters regarding subaru. You are however quite frequently prone to the "my way or no way" view of thing of a subjective matter.

Equally true.

I'm actually with GD here. The EA82T is a great motor, if well cared for. The fact that it sounds like there was or is cooling issues makes it suddenly a large problem. Also, the 2WD is not very desirable (though, it can be put up with). The final straw is the 3AT... its a piece of crap. Gearing sucks, gas mileage sucks, reliability sucks, they just plain suck.

With where you live, you should be able to easily find a better deal on a Subaru then that.

THAT about sums it up.. if YOU like the vehicle, and do not mind the 2wd driveline (for now at least) AND if you can talk the price down, then maybe go for it.

In the end, everyone here WOULD laugh at you for paying 1200 for it, though. even 800. if you get them down to 500, then you've got a car to start with, and you can always change the driveline later.. BUT I think we have done a good job in this thread letting you know where you stand with this vehicle..

We oughta sticky this thread, to point to in the future.. because really, we HAVE touched on just about every base, and this question comes up alot.. because alot of people see the T-word, and that pretty Pleiades logo, and think WRC car!!!! and all this is needed to "set them straight" as it were.

Turbo Starions were pretty nice cars at one point, too.. :rolleyes:

And dammit if I haven't ACTUALLY come to love this fugly sedan i am driving!!!!!!!