Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Folks, I am curious what do most people keep in the vehicle as their tool/parts kit for a typical drive-around/work commute (60-90mi round trip) for 95-99 Legacy.

I have a standard 3/8 drive metric set (about 25 pieces: sockets ranging from 10 to 17mm), spark tester, a couple of multi-blade screw drivers, pliers, small cutter, a small pry bar, small compressor/light combo, 1 gal plastic fuel can (empty).

a AAA gold card, a breaker bar for tire lugnuts, Jumper cables, flares, cheap Volt meter, spare fuses and bulbs, fix a flat, qt of oil.

Modern cars there isnt a lot that can be done on the side of the road. Considering what kills a subaru, timing belt, cam or crank position sesnor, engine temp sensor, those sensors arent cheap enough to keep spares of.

nipper

10,12,14,17,19mm sockets and combo wrenches, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 ratches, a screwdriver/hex bits, aviation snips, a small prybar, vice grips, and a torque wrench along with a few other things. It all fits in a small "under seat" toolbox I got a sears, and I stuck velcro to the bottom so it doesn't slide around the trunk. I have Oil, ATF, a funnel, latex gloves and a flashlight, and removed the trunk box to carry a full size spare.

In the Subie, I carry an el cheapo boxed "tool kit" with 1/4 drive ratchet & metric sockets from 6mm-17mm, pliers, adjustable wrench, continuity tester, multibit scewdriver (with torx). A box of extra fuses, jumper cables, fix-a-flat, 10" channel locks, a small ball peen hammer, and a jump start pack. The pliers & hammer have proven in the past to be handy in minor fender benders to get the car mobile again. I've only once used them on my own car, but I've gotten others moving again, as long as I don't deem the chassis as bent. The jump start pack has been the best $50 I've ever spent. It's saved my rear, as well as many of my co-workers.

In my daily driver I've got a 12" plastic tool box, with all the tools neccessary to field strip my Pinto. Unless it breaks a part, there's nothing I can't fix aling side the road in my Pinto tho.

Carrying tools makes me the "go to" guy at work for people who have car trouble in the parking lot. I've never taken a dime for my work, but I've gotten many a free lunch out of it:headbang:

Mines a '93.....but I typically carry the standard 8,10,12,14, and 17 mm in both wrenches and sockets. A BFH, a BFprybar, and all the other usual stuff.

I also tend to carry things like a machete and folding shovel, and a mapp gas torch, tow strap, winter gear, and coleman stove (coffee pot is optional.):lol:

I KNEW I was carrying way too much around with me when one of my co-workers asked if I had a gas mask in my wagon.....and was shocked when I said NO!:eek:

I love being the go-to guy!

this is funny but here we go :grin:

i carry a 18 x 10 x 8 tool box in my trunk all the time

c clamps, sockets varying from 5mm to 32mm, 1/2" drive, 3/8" drive, tons of wrenchs, tons of needle nose pliers, hammer, vicegrips, 5 ton jack, extra subaru bolts and nuts, at least 3 of each used cam and crank sensors, 1 knock sensor, a set of new spark plugs, 1 set of used ignition wires, extra accessories belt, extra timming belt (just in case), prybar, towstrap, heavy duty gloves, ductape, small tire air compressor, screw drivers galore... i know i have more stuff on my trunk i just cant remember now :lol: :lol: :lol:

njdrsubaru, I guess I asked for it:) . All you are missing is a few 2X4's to build a small bridge or a ramp if you decide to cross minor creeks:)

Everyone, thanks for replies. I think I need to get a couple of extra items you mentioned in your posts.

Alex

njdrsubaru, I guess I asked for it:) . All you are missing is a few 2X4's to build a small bridge or a ramp if you decide to cross minor creeks:)

Everyone, thanks for replies. I think I need to get a couple of extra items you mentioned in your posts.

Alex

hey i just noticed you are in e brunswick, pretty close by, are you aware of the pine barrens meet on the 24th? are you going? I'm in Oldbridge not even 15mnts away from you

I carry one of those cheap (like under $50) collapsing tool kits like from Kmart, Walmart, etc... that has a wide assortment of wrenches, sockets, screw drivers, allen wrenches, etc.... I also carry a portable battery jump pack, air compressor (plugs into lighter outlet in car), a tow strap or two, flash light, and a tire patch kit. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. My wife carries most of the same stuff, plus a small collapsible shovel (snow). It's just stuff I've accumulated over the last 16+ years of owning vehicles. Interestingly, I use these tools more often on OTHER PEOPLE'S cars instead of my own. What gets used most often are the battery jump pack and air compressor. I personally don't like the combo jump back/air compressors because the battery is smaller/weaker in order to make room for the compressor, and when one of the two devices fails, they both typically fail. I got a real nice "Peak" brand jump pack from Menards for $50 on sale and it has been wonderful. Much better than using jumper cables.

I was not aware of this meet, it wasn't mentioned in the "events" section. I used to belong to OBPRC in your town, actually less than 15 minuts from me. I am not a big fan of meets, but it's nice to know a fellow subarite and forum user is near-by. :)

Mines a '93.....but I typically carry the standard 8,10,12,14, and 17 mm in both wrenches and sockets. A BFH, a BFprybar, and all the other usual stuff.

I also tend to carry things like a machete and folding shovel, and a mapp gas torch, tow strap, winter gear, and coleman stove (coffee pot is optional.):lol:

I KNEW I was carrying way too much around with me when one of my co-workers asked if I had a gas mask in my wagon.....and was shocked when I said NO!:eek:

I love being the go-to guy!

Trush me he carries everything. He barely has room for me in his wagon.

I can't wait to see what your Brat looks like:rolleyes: Just think no room for me....I guess you will just have to get me a Brat then:grin:

I was not aware of this meet, it wasn't mentioned in the "events" section. I used to belong to OBPRC in your town, actually less than 15 minuts from me. I am not a big fan of meets, but it's nice to know a fellow subarite and forum user is near-by. :)

Hey AL

HERE IT IS for the 24th of this month

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=72092

oh btw whats OBPRC?

you shuld definetely come out and ride in the woods with one of us if you dont want to take your vehicle in there, its alot of fun

also here is the last meet, pics and videos available there :lol:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71176&page=3

Neo, OBPRC - Old Bridge Pistol & Rifle Club

Those videos were fun to watch. My wagon is not OB so it sits pretty low, has 211K miles on it and is my only trasportation for now. I am planning to do an outbackification on it (OB struts and 205/65/15 tires), to raise it a bit - then I'll be properly equipped for romping the Barrens. Thanks for the invite, though. Perhaps in the fall.

Alex