Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Saggin Wagon

My 1987 GL wagon rear end is sagging because the EJ series stuff was in there for 4 months.As a matter of fact,I have negative rake.IE the back is lower than the front even with a EJ22 in the front.I will be lifting it whenever money permits,in the back will have the rear springs from a 70 chevelle so that will fix that issue.But in the meantime what should I do to get it back up to stock height or just level with the front?Accord springs sound to stiff for me..

What are your plans for the wagon. You want to keep it stock height, lower it, or lift it? If you wanna give it the lowered street stance you could use a set of coilovers for an impreza, or honda civic(most coilover kits are generic). They are pretty cheap off ebay, can be had for under $100 shipped.

i know this is a little time consuming but it could help, at night when ur not driving the car, jack the rear end off the ground to get all the weight off the springs. if done every once in a while it might help to releive the sag that occured from leaving and engine in the back of ur soob. this is of course only a temporary fix till u get new springs when u get ur soob lifted. im not saying this is a proven method, but it just might help!

I have an EA82 wagon so no spring adjusters.

My 87 GL wagon's 4wd 5 spd. had rear spring adjusters, Factory stock.

It's just a cylindrical "tube" on the coil spring itself with 4 or 5 notches of "softer/stiffer" they look just like the older rear motorcycle springs/shocks

setup that had the notched ramp you would "turn the ramp to raise or lower the notches". My GL's both had them and both were set second from lowest(softest) setting, I am assuming that to be the factory setting.

Now I'm curious enough to go look at my 91 loyale to see if it has adjusters!

My 87 GL wagon's 4wd 5 spd. had rear spring adjusters, Factory stock.

It's just a cylindrical "tube" on the coil spring itself with 4 or 5 notches of "softer/stiffer" they look just like the older rear motorcycle springs/shocks

setup that had the notched ramp you would "turn the ramp to raise or lower the notches". My GL's both had them and both were set second from lowest(softest) setting, I am assuming that to be the factory setting.

Now I'm curious enough to go look at my 91 loyale to see if it has adjusters!

I have never seen or heard of this before.

I have an EA82 wagon so no spring adjusters.

To be sure, I went out and looked. The 87 GL has height adjustments on the bottom of the spring, It is the bottom spring holder, A notched ramp that rests on a pin on the shock/spring assy. by "spinning" it the notches on the ramp sit higher or lower on the pin this increases or decreases the tension on the coil. The 91 loyale does NOT have this adjuster, It looks like they replaced the notched ramp with a fixed "cup" that the spring rests in.

Both my GL's had this adjuster. If all 87's do not, Then it must have been part of some option package or somesuch thing. Anyway it would be really unnoticable if you weren't looking for it, Kinda hid behind the wheel, covered with dirt. But easy to spot with tire and rim off car. Hope you have them, Since both mine had it, I assumed they all came that way. Possibly not.

i know this is a little time consuming but it could help, at night when ur not driving the car, jack the rear end off the ground to get all the weight off the springs. if done every once in a while it might help to releive the sag that occured from leaving and engine in the back of ur soob. this is of course only a temporary fix till u get new springs when u get ur soob lifted. im not saying this is a proven method, but it just might help!

Another temp fix that really sucks is to get those "spring extenders" or whatever their called. that part stores sell for wedgeing into the old springs, just a chunk of metal with grooves to help stay in place. Probably cheap,

not much to them.