Ultimate Subaru Message Board

97 Outback auto trans, how durable?

I'm looking at getting another 97 Outback with a bad 2.5, this one has an automatic trans though...and 200,000 miles on the car. Because of the miles and questionable maintenance record (motor blew when timing belt broke), I wonder if I should even buy. Short story long, what kind of lifespan do these transmissions have? Also, I did a search and found one where Nipper said 97.5 on were better, so wondering if there is any way to tell if this has the better trans other than the build date? Thanks for any help with this potential "resurrection"...

Generally, the 4EAT auto in the EJ cars is considered a very good transmission as far as automatics go. They do fail, but I've heard about many of them going for well over 200k as long as they get the fluid changed regularly. If the fluid is all nasty, I'd stay away from it, but if it looks like the tranny has been taken care of, I'd go for it.

It was about $1400 total Cdn at the dealer, $600 labour (eg 6 hrs), $800 parts. I didn't skimp. All the (suspect) parts were changed.

When I inquired about just parts from one online dealer, they were telling me that there were different parts... depending on some clearances that have to be measured... not sure about this. First I'd heard of it.

You could probably find a next-to-new one on a junk yard vehicle, as these tend to go towards the end of the life of the vehicle. It's just the tail piece on the transmission, but what is truly involved in changing one out, I don't really know.

Commuter

It was about $1400 total Cdn at the dealer, $600 labour (eg 6 hrs), $800 parts. I didn't skimp. All the (suspect) parts were changed.

When I inquired about just parts from one online dealer, they were telling me that there were different parts... depending on some clearances that have to be measured... not sure about this. First I'd heard of it.

Commuter

No commuter this is true. My car went threough the same thing. They had to measure the parts and order the matching clutches. There are two ways to fix things , one is a repair, one is a quality repair. I know people who have fixed it themselves with dealers parts, and others that have gone to tranny shops and had problems. I left mine to the professionals, especially if there is a transition year involved, where things were changes mid stream, but we don't about it. Mine cost me 850.00 total

nipper